• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help with backlit signs

eliasx2003

We have always had a problem with making back lit signs at my shop. The type you see at any strip mall. Alot of times we get the request to take the panel down,(white acylic with a 2" bevel)clean it, and apply a new design on it. I've never found a good way to do it. We will usually print on clear vinyl and do a 2 or 3 pass to add more ink. Of course that has the problem of being dark during the day and washed out or dull looking at night. We also sometimes print on white translucent vinyl and do a 2 pass then apply to clear acrylic.

What is the best or a good method. I don't wan't to buy a whole bunch of different translucent vinyls and peice them together. Sometimes the customer wants a full color image that you can't piece together.

JonPypes

We have always had a problem with making back lit signs at my shop. The type you see at any strip mall. Alot of times we get the request to take the panel down,(white acylic with a 2" bevel)clean it, and apply a new design on it. I've never found a good way to do it. We will usually print on clear vinyl and do a 2 or 3 pass to add more ink. Of course that has the problem of being dark during the day and washed out or dull looking at night. We also sometimes print on white translucent vinyl and do a 2 pass then apply to clear acrylic.

What is the best or a good method. I don't wan't to buy a whole bunch of different translucent vinyls and peice them together. Sometimes the customer wants a full color image that you can't piece together.
Best way to do it is to print a mirrored layer of color on clear media, apply that print to the back of the substrate, then print a normal print (not mirrored) normal pass layer of color on white translucent vinyl and use a light table to line the two graphics up. This will allow a double strike of color to shine through the substrate and not wash out the graphic, but still look normal during the day.

JKinFLA

We either do a white layer on the face and a clear layer on on the back of the substrate. I have also printed a white translucent print and a clear print then apply the white print over the clear print then apply to the face of the sign.

Hero Signs

If they let me make it, they will come
Printed always looks dull and fuzzy at night. White backed vinyl print , register and print a 2nd layer, laminate and call it done. If they want translucent vinyl buy as needed and price accordingly. If they are not going to be at the center for more than 3 years, inform them of the cost benefit of each.

ams

Never never never use clear vinyl or clear substrate. Double print on white translucent vinyl and put on white polycarbonate.

Edit: I know someone is going to ask why. It's because you will see the bulbs through the vinyl. If they are HO, higher lumen LEDs, Halogens, etc you will see it. Looks awful, a city about an hour from me has a ton like that, you drive by and see all 6 bulbs in the sign and it's hard to read the graphic.

eliasx2003

GUYS! Thanks for the help. I never received notification that anyone responded to this post. Good thing I checked back through the site. I am considering ordering a new vinyl. 3M-IJ3630-20 for our new white trans. We use an Epson s60600 and Onyx 12. Anyone have any thoughts on that combo? I'm concerned about correct profiles now.