• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help with equipment purchase

jdale

I run a small sign shop. Been mostly doing cut vinyl graphics and some odd sublimation stuff on an Epson Printer.

We have an HP 5500PS for small poster jobs but we want to buy something so we can do more durable outdoor stuff and possibly some vehicle graphics or wraps.

We don't have a huge budget and don't mind used equipment. I'd like to be able to do at least 50".

Any suggestions. Like I said i'd be looking for something sub 10k$ if possible.

Thanks for the help.

JD

Matt-Tastic

If you're looking for a 54" printer sub-10k, you're looking used. Look around at what is available to you and bring back some more information. Used printers really depend on your area as to how much you can get.

AngieBeans

Hi, I'm new to this site and really don't know where to post questions, but I have one related to this. I'm trying to start a vinyl business with clothes, the wall art, stickers etc. I'm looking for any advice on good vinyl cutters/ vinyl cutter start up kits. I've been looking on amazon because honestly I'd like to start small and somewhat cheap, because I'm not sure how good I'll do. So any input would be helpful, Thanks!!

ironchef

I saw a 300 dollar plotter on signwarehouse. Im not sure how good it is.. anyone seen these in action? If you have the money or find a used one, graphtec, summa, roland, mimaki are all good plotters. Graphtec and mimaki are my fav tho. Also i suggest to outsource stuff for now so you can start without buying equipment. Then if you see your customer base growing you can invest in a better graphtec,etc.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Hi, I'm new to this site and really don't know where to post questions, but I have one related to this. I'm trying to start a vinyl business with clothes, the wall art, stickers etc. I'm looking for any advice on good vinyl cutters/ vinyl cutter start up kits. I've been looking on amazon because honestly I'd like to start small and somewhat cheap, because I'm not sure how good I'll do. So any input would be helpful, Thanks!!

This will tell you How to Start a New Thread.

Going cheap is more likely to result in what you fear ... "I'm not sure how good I'll do." First, tell us about yourself. Is there anything in your experience that has prepared you to succeed in this? Can you sell? Can you design? Can you fabricate?

Why would you shop for the hardware and software at Amazon or ebay etc. when you know you will get zero support or training there? If you invest a bit more for name brand hardware and software and purchase through a legitimate sign supply distributor, you will get some support and training. You'll also get better answers to questions here.

Have you considered just investing in design software for now and farming out the graphics production to a wholesale jobber? There is a decent size list of them under "Outsource" in our Merchant List. Have you considered locating the nearest sign supply distributor to you and visiting them? Buying from a professional supplier when you are seeking to become a professional in a craft is often a good start to succeeding.

AngieBeans

I've looked at different supply sites like heatpress nation, and vinylcutter warehouse. Sites like that, but I have no experience in this craft so I didn't want to buy something so expensive if I don't really get into it. I talked to a local sign maker and he told me about this site and said it would be a huge help to me just starting out. I'm wonderinbg things like should I get a cutter with a stand or without? What vinyl to use for which projects and so on. I hope I can get the help I'm looking for before I buy!

ironchef

Hey ang... lol its hard to get all your questions answered in one thread... i suggest reading all the previous posts, use the search button and use keywords. I've learned so much from here, and so will you. Welcome. On the plotter subject, if you got the space get one with a stand. On materials, well there's so many types, its nearly impossible to cover them all. It starts with cut vinyl, calendered and cast. Then metallic, chrome, reflective. Then heat transfer material for apparel. Then digital media for printing. And then it all gets even more confusing. I'm still learning. So be patient, and start reading. Maybe find a merchant member on here to outsource big jobs. Cut vinyl. Printed media. Banners, etc... and find yourself a local shop that sells to resellers. Start building some clientele, and then buy a plotter from a reputable local sign supplier that can offer you support, training, and a warranty.