• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help with Font Please

102RCR

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Boat Numbers.jpg
    Boat Numbers.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 135

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Why would it have two names? Flamenco yields more hits when googled that Fuego but they look identical.

In the late 1980's, the US Patent and Trademark court ruled that the alphabet was not protected and that only the name of a font design could be protected. Since then there have been renamed copies of original designs called clones of the majority of fonts available. They are technically legal but certainly not ethically correct. They are more likely to contain defects. kerning missing, malware or missing glyphs. And, of course, people that download them are choosing to deny the original designer his or her fair compensation.

And, of course, people that download them are choosing to deny the original designer his or her fair compensation.

But not entirely. obviously, there are also many people out there who are completely unaware these problems exist. I'm sure most of us here have been unknowingly guilty of using a bootleg font at some point.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
But not entirely. obviously, there are also many people out there who are completely unaware these problems exist. I'm sure most of us here have been unknowingly guilty of using a bootleg font at some point.

Absolutely. Which is why, when the subject comes up as in this thread, there's no harm in continuing to raise awareness of the issue.