• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help with scuffs on new printed banners I orderes

Parthenia

This is my first post and it was my first time to order printed banners. They are conference banners and when I got them today and unrolled them some of the edges are scuffed. They each have about a two inch trim of color around each pennant and some are worse than others. Can I use lettering enamel to touch them up? One is a maroon that I willhave to mix to match. I don't want to make them any worse and I know the lettering enamel will be more shiny than the print surface....any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you're gonna make corrections on your own, nothing will match. Therefore, anything you do will hafta be clear-coated on the entire banner afterwards, so everything has the same sheen to it. Then it will all match.

player

Maybe a vinyl trim all the way around? I would be careful with enamels. They may not dry if the banner material is not specially coated.

Billct2

No, other than cleaning to see if it removes some of the scuffs, there's not much you can do.

This is my first post and it was my first time to order printed banners. They are conference banners and when I got them today and unrolled them some of the edges are scuffed. They each have about a two inch trim of color around each pennant and some are worse than others. Can I use lettering enamel to touch them up? One is a maroon that I willhave to mix to match. I don't want to make them any worse and I know the lettering enamel will be more shiny than the print surface....any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

You ordered printed banners that were damaged. Send them back to the Mfg. and either have them send you new ones or find someone else.

Parthenia

I wondered if this was to be expected or if I should return them. Do they need to be laminated? Does that help to keep them from getting scratches and scuffs? These are going to be attached to the back wall over the gym bleachers and will be low enough they can be touched.

I wondered if this was to be expected or if I should return them. Do they need to be laminated? Does that help to keep them from getting scratches and scuffs? These are going to be attached to the back wall over the gym bleachers and will be low enough they can be touched.

I would send it back. If a guy orders a sign and it has scratches hes not going to buy it from you so why should you buy the banners if they are all messed up. Also, this is going to reflect on yourself and your company poorly. When the end user gets the banners and sees they have scratches he may keep them or he may return them to you. Now you already look like you don't know what you are doing. Then you return or by this time might have to eat it and order new banners or return his money and refuse the job. Now you really don't look good. And say he does decide to keep them and not say anything. The next time it comes to order something he will remember how horrible the banners were that he received from you. He doesn't care that you bought them that way, he thinks they are coming from you and your company.

Lamination will help but lamination is susceptible to scrapes and scuffs also. Really when you laminate a large print it is to protect the print from taking the scratches. That way even though there is a scratch or marring on the surface the image is still unchanged. It will also increase the life expectancy of the print itself.

Gino

Premium Subscriber

Unless you attach some electrical prod to them, nothing you or anyone else does is going to protect these things in a gymnasium surrounded by kids. Weren't you ever a kid ?? They purposely destroy things....... on purpose. :covereyes:

Parthenia

I would send it back. If a guy orders a sign and it has scratches hes not going to buy it from you so why should you buy the banners if they are all messed up. Also, this is going to reflect on yourself and your company poorly. When the end user gets the banners and sees they have scratches he may keep them or he may return them to you. Now you already look like you don't know what you are doing. Then you return or by this time might have to eat it and order new banners or return his money and refuse the job. Now you really don't look good. And say he does decide to keep them and not say anything. The next time it comes to order something he will remember how horrible the banners were that he received from you. He doesn't care that you bought them that way, he thinks they are coming from you and your company.

Lamination will help but lamination is susceptible to scrapes and scuffs also. Really when you laminate a large print it is to protect the print from taking the scratches. That way even though there is a scratch or marring on the surface the image is still unchanged. It will also increase the life expectancy of the print itself.

Yes, I understand it is a reflection on me. I have sent them photos...I've attached a few here for you to see. I guess I need to ask about lamination too. I just hope the company will re-do them correctly.

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 151
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 138
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 141
  • 039.jpg
    039.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 129
  • 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 152

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Good luck getting them to do them over. I understand they are not in perfect condition, but did you pay top buck to assure you would not have this happen ??

People's perspective on things change drastically, when something minute is pointed out and held to a higher level then intended. It looks like sloppy handling as you said while hemming or grommeting. If these were going outside on a fence, selling real estate, they'd be fine. Using them how you intend, sounds like the wrong materials were used and some carelessness happened, but nothing beyond normalcy.

Good luck getting them to do them over. I understand they are not in perfect condition, but did you pay top buck to assure you would not have this happen ??

People's perspective on things change drastically, when something minute is pointed out and held to a higher level then intended. It looks like sloppy handling as you said while hemming or grommeting. If these were going outside on a fence, selling real estate, they'd be fine. Using them how you intend, sounds like the wrong materials were used and some carelessness happened, but nothing beyond normalcy.

I wouldn't except anything but having them do them over again. Why shouldn't they be held to the same standards everybody else is. Just because it's cheap doens't mean you can throw it around and give a ****ty finished product. I shouldn't have to say do I need to pay more so these don't get scratched during production.

Also it doesn't look like a shipping issue to me. It looks like they put it through a hemming machine and it scratched the crap out of the prints.

Logoadv

I would want something dye sublimated if there was any chance grubby booger covered fingers were going to touch it. At least that fabric can be washed.

reQ

Looks like squeegee marks to me. My guess that it happened when they were hemming them. Very easy to scratch banners even with felt squeegee. Mostly happens when it was not left alone to properly dry.
I think you might have problem to get them re-done, but i would try anyways since its not right.

lgroth

Common sense, let the ink dry before hemming banners... That should have been caught before they were shipped to you, whoever did the hemming had to see that. If I sent something out that looked like that I'd be (justifiably) looking for a new job.

Parthenia

They have agreed to re-do them and said they had rushed them since we had some things that slowed things down. As for them being cheap, I was given a budget to work with. And I asked this company if they had done conference banners before which they had so I let them decide what materials to use since I hadn't done them before and definitely had never ordered anything printed. They want to re-do and ship..they ship nationwide and claim they never had a problem like this before. I could drive to get them...it's about a 3-3.5 hour drive and have a car that gets good mileage.

I agree that I think the damage occurred when they were hemmed and grommetted. I am debating about hemming them myself with double-sided tape which again is something I have never attempted but watching youtube videos it looks doable. I have applied grommets with a kit with a punch and die set and used my hammer. Worked for sides were I needed to add more but worried I might have problems at the corners.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Good for you..... I like happy endings.

Grommets in the corners of those banners will not be hard to do with a hand held die and hammer set up. A grommet machine would be nicer, but be sure you have the business to sustain such a purchase. You'd probably be looking at $200 or $300 for a decent machine. We have ours for about 25 years and still using the original dies.

Parthenia

Thanks so much for all of your comments! I've been a lurker up to now partly because I know I am way behind the curve on a lot of things. You have all been so kind I won't hesitate to ask for help again.

AaronSSsignsKC

most of that damage to me looked like its from 1 the banners being printed on a solvent machine 2 the banners were handled and stacked and hemmed way before they had time to gas. I would be worried about them RUSHING them for you lol. good luck.