• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Helpful Tips On Installing Cast Letter On Rock Wall

K2

Need some helpful tips on installing cast letters onto an uneven rock wall. I do mainly vinyl work and wraps so I haven't done much of this but this is for my church so its more of a favor/donation of resources and time. I have installed on walls but no uneven like this will be. Obviously i will have the template but my main question is how do I keep the letters all at even debth? My thought is to use adjustable studded pads, is the correct way to go? Or do any of you have any other suggestions or tips it would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• Coffee Shop Wall.jpg
    Coffee Shop Wall.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 241

Moze

Precision Sign Services
That's referred to as 'stacked stone', fyi.

Pads won't really do any good. It just takes a level and some patience.

Post for reference: click

K2

Stud mounted I hope? Glue the pattern to some coroplast so it will stay flat. Use adjustable stud pad combos.
This image is what I had in mind. Not the letters, just the stud mounts and pads.

Attachments

• formed-plastic-letters-mounting-options.jpg
    formed-plastic-letters-mounting-options.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 162

K2

There's zero need for the pads.
So just studs only (they want it off the wall about 1/2"), drill holes, temporarily place, silicone in place and eyeball to get it where I want it? Am I on the right path here?

MikePro

agreed. zero need for the pads. there won't be anything flat for them to sit-on, and you'll just end up seeing those obnoxious things sticking-out from the sides of the letters.

use studs, and nuts for adjustment

another way to go about this, to save you some effort, would be to have a clear plexiglass back panel that all the letters can be pre-mounted to. would save you a heck of a lotta time, rather than adjusting each and every individual stud.

Billct2

I agree, just use studs. It takes patience. I like to use an epoxy when working with rock. You may want to bring some tape and spacers to hold it in place till the epoxy sets up.
I have even set up a string level to line up the faces.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
If your letters are large enough you can use a metal ruler to float all the letters to a consistent height. Partially instal the first and last letter then slip a ruler in there. It should be longer than text. Use it to INSTALL all the letters at a common height then slip it out.

If they're too small you can use the ruler on the top or bottom.