• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Here we go again, 60" Vinyl on Maxmetal sign with bleed

dypinc

Seems like at least once a month I run into this. Someone wanting a 60" sign with bleed. Should be done on cast vinyl with cast vinyl over-lam. Where to find 61" to 64" Cast vinyl and over-lam. You would think the vinyl suppliers would wise up and offer this. Why do they even stock 60"? What is the point of 60" when substrate comes in 60"? Do they think no one would ever want to do a bleed on a 60" sign.

Start of rant for the day.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Probably farm it out to someone who can do it..... or invest in a flatbed. Our flatbed goes to 63" and you can eliminate the vinyl portion of the equation. Use a liquid clear and you're home free..... other than the investment in a flatbed.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
60" sizes are mostly in wrap vinyl products, as some installations (trailers, trucks, etc) can be done with the larger panels. I don't think they were ever intended as products to mount to substrates, but obviously can. You are just wasting material though most of the time, so I stick to 54". If it needs to mount to larger sub like 60", we just overlap. Usually I can create the design to accommodate the seam so that you don't notice it (like a divider line, or text in a box).

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I understand, but what kind of durability do you get out of that process?

Depends on the use needed, substrate being used and how it's being used. Colors may play a part as well. We just did one 62" x about 90", liquid laminated it and I'm sure they'll get 4 or 5 years out of it. It went on the side of a building wall. Gets a fair amount of sunlight. It replaced one we did exactly the same way about 7 years ago and was beginning to fade.

k.a.s.

A well placed seam is OK at times. When something is over 4' a seam should be expected.

Kevin

dypinc

Anything new out there on 61" to 63" Cast Vinyl? Just talked to Gans and they no longer sell their 64" Cast. Another sign here 60" with bleed. Going to have to tell them we have to make it 59" Still don't understand the why the limit at 60"

dypinc

In terms of durability compared to 3m IJ180CV3 both with their approate over-lam how would you rate it? Anyone else have any thought on this? I have got find a good solution for this because these 60" signs come up pretty often. What do others think or have found out about long term Polymeric vinyl durability?

ProColorGraphics

I haven't had any issues over the last couple years I have been using it. I use the 2mil V750 laminate from Hexis, which is their high end calendared version. Cast should have have a longer life just based of what it is, but I haven't had any issues.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Anything new out there on 61" to 63" Cast Vinyl? Just talked to Gans and they no longer sell their 64" Cast. Another sign here 60" with bleed. Going to have to tell them we have to make it 59" Still don't understand the why the limit at 60"

MacTac makes a 64" material that should work for that application, none are cast, but good 4 year material.

dypinc

I haven't had any issues over the last couple years I have been using it. I use the 2mil V750 laminate from Hexis, which is their high end calendared version. Cast should have have a longer life just based of what it is, but I haven't had any issues.

Interesting thing is I have explained this before to clients when this issue came up with 60" signs and every time they always want the 59" option with IJ180CV3 because they see the ones out there that were done on IJ180CV3 and how long they have lasted. I have even called 3M and written them a number of times about this but still no wider than 60" option.

Charlie J

Just dial in your laminator so your vinyl runs through perfectly, and put a damn border around the edges of the sign. Problem solved.

MikePro

Just make the sign 59"... No one would even notice but you unless it fits in to a frame.
+1. and even-so, a frame means a concealed border, which means you can have a 60" panel with a 59" print and as long as the frame is >5" then no one is the wiser.