• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Here we go again!

deegrafix

The question: Can you airbrush/paint these images on a small jet for this world-famous client?

The answer: Of course!

Comment to self, as usual: Are you nuts????? What are you thinking??? Why did I say yes? Gotta start researching, making lists, asking questions, sign painter's dance...... Oh boy! Fun stuff! What, am I crazy? Of course I can do this.

I'll know more Tuesday. The art is not finalized but the last one had a giant hand gripping the jet and squeezing it. I did a search here looking for paint types and prep but only found legal stuff. The company hiring us will be doing the clear coat using AWLgrip polyester urethane which appears to be a marine paint. They are leaving the choice of paint to me as long as it is compatible with their clear.

It can't be more stressful than, "Can you wrap 3 buss' in 4 days outside in the coldest weather of the year?" Can it? :omg::omg:

visual800

basecoats would be the easiest to work with but it appears they are set on using this product you mentioned

I have no idea what this clearcoat they are using is. I googled it and it would appear you need to call them and see what they suggest to use under it. There has to be something that would go under it, Im thinking instead of airbrushing why dont you put graphics on it

deegrafix

Base/clear was my first thought too and I'll try to pursue that option. Since the jet will go higher than 13,000 ft in order to use prints a special aircraft vinyl would have to be used, which it seems can only be printed with electrostatic and ordered (from 3M of course) by a "certified airplane graphics installer". I'll research avery and arlon to see if they have something.

They seem fixed on the awlgrip but maybe I can persuade them otherwise. Dupont makes airplane paint....

Thanks for the response!

deegrafix

wonder if you could airbrush with Imron?

Me too. But would the clearcoat crawl or fisheye? I see test panels in my future....

Graphics2u

Since the jet will go higher than 13,000 ft in order to use prints a special aircraft vinyl would have to be used, which it seems can only be printed with electrostatic and ordered (from 3M of course) by a "certified airplane graphics installer".
What the deal with 13,000 feet? Adhesive let go above that?