• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Here's a good one.....................................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hung 32 street banners on standards that were already in place about 3 or 4 weeks ago. I told the client the banners didn't have any grommets in them to tie them off to the standard. He said, so what ?? I said without those being in, the banner can slide off under heavy winds or even breezes. His reply was..... they only hafta be up for a year. That'll do. No sense spending extra money. Sooo.....got 'em all up and they were tight and I put a little set screw through the banner into the fiberglass pole extension in the pole pocket. Low and behold, the first one slid off the following week. I fixed it, no charge, but told him, if it happened again, we're charging. Got a call another one came off. Today, another one came off. Now he wants me top put the grommets in.

Here's my question :

I have a grommet machine and a hand held type, but don't see how it's possible to use it 25' in the air. Is there some other way of putting a grommet-like piece in there up in the air, instead of removing the banner and doing it all over ?? I was thinking possibly of those things called BannerUps. I've never used them and don't know anyone that has. It would be a heck of a lot easier putting some strong tape or whatever on there and drilling a hole through it, then the wire ties around the pole standard. Or just some very think clear laminate and create my own tabs and drill a hole through it.

:thankyou: Gino​

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Got the tool. It didn't even grommet a piece of paper. Don't waste your money on one.

I appreciate the suggestion and will let you know what I end up doing.

Stacey K

I like making signs

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 161

jwlllpl

Hung 32 street banners on standards that were already in place about 3 or 4 weeks ago. I told the client the banners didn't have any grommets in them to tie them off to the standard. He said, so what ?? I said without those being in, the banner can slide off under heavy winds or even breezes. His reply was..... they only hafta be up for a year. That'll do. No sense spending extra money. Sooo.....got 'em all up and they were tight and I put a little set screw through the banner into the fiberglass pole extension in the pole pocket. Low and behold, the first one slid off the following week. I fixed it, no charge, but told him, if it happened again, we're charging. Got a call another one came off. Today, another one came off. Now he wants me top put the grommets in.

Here's my question :

I have a grommet machine and a hand held type, but don't see how it's possible to use it 25' in the air. Is there some other way of putting a grommet-like piece in there up in the air, instead of removing the banner and doing it all over ?? I was thinking possibly of those things called BannerUps. I've never used them and don't know anyone that has. It would be a heck of a lot easier putting some strong tape or whatever on there and drilling a hole through it, then the wire ties around the pole standard. Or just some very think clear laminate and create my own tabs and drill a hole through it.

:thankyou: Gino​
We use BannerUps Clear Heavy Duty tape and the Clear Heavy Duty Tabs for many years. The hole punch tool is kind of pricey - worth it - nice clean look - not necessary thou if you have a good sharp awl. We have had no complaints. The tape gives it a bit of stiffness as well so rolling is not an issue.

https://bannerups.com/powerpunch/

Last edited:

Billct2

Sorry about that, it was the first one I saw on a search. There are quality ones that work. I used one that the boss bought for fixing his sail in an emergency. They also have heavy duty plastic tabs for sail repair.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sorry about that, it was the first one I saw on a search. There are quality ones that work. I used one that the boss bought for fixing his sail in an emergency. They also have heavy duty plastic tabs for sail repair.

No problem....... no problem at all. You tried to help and when I saw it, I thought, this can't do it, but I tired. I ended up ordering a much heftier one and it should be in by Friday or Saturday. It will do 3/8" holes and go through the banner material. The one from harbor, I wouldn't've been able to put a piece of string through it, let alone a wire cable.

jimbug72

It seems like Banner Ups should work. I've never used them but we have a supplier who swears by them, but he is of course, trying to sell me Banner Ups so that's not much of an endorsement.

bigben

We use BannerUps Clear Heavy Duty tape and the Clear Heavy Duty Tabs for many years. The hole punch tool is kind of pricey - worth it - nice clean look - not necessary thou if you have a good sharp awl. We have had no complaints. The tape gives it a bit of stiffness as well so rolling is not an issue.

https://bannerups.com/powerpunch/

I use banner ups also. Great products and never had problems even in harsh winters.