• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hey Betsy from 3M!

ProWraps

new products?!?!?! awesome! so why are you competing with the people you are selling those products to?

klemgraphics

No more 3M for me if they are going to try to take food off my table! Same thing goes on in the window film industry, mfg & distributors set up retail shop and steal the work from the very people that made them successful in the first place.

Would it make them think if all of a sudden tomorrow none of their new competitors bought any of their film?

showcase 66

I just got back from the ISA expo and I asked one of the guys from 3M about it and he looked at me kinda weird. He said he didnt know anything about it and he asked another guy there and he said that they wont be competing with everyone but will do mostly 3m promotional stuff. Dont really believe that but that is what the guy said.

ProWraps

I just got back from the ISA expo and I asked one of the guys from 3M about it and he looked at me kinda weird. He said he didnt know anything about it and he asked another guy there and he said that they wont be competing with everyone but will do mostly 3m promotional stuff. Dont really believe that but that is what the guy said.

they will actually probably become the largest wrap shop by volume in the US and possibly the world.

they will be providing products that will be finanaced with the purchase price of the vehicles hence destroying the fleet wrap market.

all the while turning around and selling their products to the industry they are in 100% direct competition with.

i would very much like to here from their appointed representative what their thoughts are about this. they posted a barrage of press releases about products, so i figure its time to talk turkey. sadly i have a feeling my request will not be answered.

ProWraps

i did one for them when it was original wraps. it wasnt worth the gas money to get to the site. and it took forever to get paid.

dont think they are going to funnel a ton of money to the installer cause it aint going to happen. this will make vehicle wrapping an $8 hour job while they reap a financial windfall.

we are done with them on a wholesale level. i will NEVER support my competition. as far as im concerned its no different than writing a check to the wrap shops in my market. stupid move for 3M and i think it has to do with the large ego that has formed on their shoulders.

the bad news for them, is their product is no longer superior by any means. technology has allowed their competition to do it better and cheaper.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I wonder if you have to be a full-on sign shop or could say.... glass companies that install their own van graphics also participate?

wayne k
guam usa

Mosh

Don't know what is going on...but you sound madder than a "special needs person in a room full of bouncy balls".. What is up on this???

CentralSigns

I think Betsy is ignoring you. Probably has to get a mouth full of words from corporate. Their words that is. Your comments Prowraps, definitely make me think twice about 3m products. Are they following the path taken by Frod and Low-one. Lots of $$ in wraps at the dealer level, more than at the wrap shop level and selling supplies to them I guess? Hand pick your certified installers from the certification course you offer, must be money in that aye.

Mosh

I like 3M films, they cost more but always thought they were the best...what is the deal????

Craig Sjoquist

3M has been doing fleet graphics... BEFORE... Gerber 4.... wants some cheese with that whine geez.
On one hand you say competition puts a little drive in your mind to do better, but when you see competition, your stumping your feet huffing and puffing, don't worry, when vinyl came out this brought lots of competition and prices fell below the board, mid 90s print hit the sign shop so now it's seeing the end is near lol don't ya just love progress.

ProWraps

3M has been doing fleet graphics... BEFORE... Gerber 4.... wants some cheese with that whine geez.
On one hand you say competition puts a little drive in your mind to do better, but when you see competition, your stumping your feet huffing and puffing, don't worry, when vinyl came out this brought lots of competition and prices fell below the board, mid 90s print hit the sign shop so now it's seeing the end is near lol don't ya just love progress.

if i had an incoherent rambling decoder ring, i would know how to respond. but sadly im fresh out. for petes sake, don vito is easier to understand than you.

Pat Whatley

I like 3M films, they cost more but always thought they were the best...what is the deal????
3M is getting in the wrap business but at the dealer level. Company goes to buy a van (or a fleet of vans) they'll be able to buy the wrap as an accessory. The cost of the wrap will be financed with the vehicle loan or written into the lease.

HulkSmash

The people on here saying it isn't that big of a deal - are the ones who do 90 percent signs 10 percent vehicle wraps. For guys like me and Prowraps. im about 75 percent wraps 25 percent everything else. We do a chit ton of wraps. And one of my biggest strengths is fleets. how can you not see this affecting us? They will be able to finance a fleet of vans/trucks/cars with a wrap on it. dumb. I've only used 3m 180. I'm done with that.

Hello Oracle

Last edited:

SignosaurusRex

sounds like a case of the dog biting the hand that feeds it......if not that, certainly nipping at the heels of. I don't do full wraps.....but I definitely don't like what appears to be going on here.

AUTO-FX

I'm so naive, I didnt even realize what 3M is trying to do until i saw this thread. We may need to dig out the ouji boards and consult the oracle. (sorry Colorado - couldnt resist!)
If that's what 3M is willing to spend marketing money on, maybe in the long run it will help increase the overall amount of business available, as dealerships realize the potential for customer service and increased profits and salesman start pushing.
So switch to using Oracal, let 3M have at it, and hopefully ride whatever wave may pass by. That's all you can do. Just remember - at the dealerships, it's all about customer service these days, so if you can get there and get it done faster then the 3M guy, you will get the business - even if you are higher $.
And, decoded, this is kinda what Craig was saying.

surf city

I just don't get it. They want you to be a loyal customer and buy their materials but, then they become you're competitor so how do they expect you to want to have a business relationship with them??