• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Hi All - Looking for some advice on new Roland Printer

Wich Print and Cut machine should i buy

• Total voters

Pink Pig Print

Hi all and hopping some of you who have used and have some knowledge of Roland Eco-Sol printers.
I am looking at purchasing a new large format solvent printer to replace our old Rockhopper that when bang just over 18 minths ago now. and as we had a down turn in large formt orders we have not replaced it.
we have relayed on the garment and gift-wear printing we also do.
But as i say we are looking for a new one. I have been looking at the Roland TrueVis VG-640 Printer/Cutter and the Roland SolJet Pro 4 XR-640 Wide Format Inkjet Printer/Cutter.
If any one as one of these printers or any one can advise or help on which is the best printer out of the two models. i would be grateful for any input. i have around £20,000.00 to spend total on a new print and cut machine.

CanuckSigns

Hi all and hopping some of you who have used and have some knowledge of Roland Eco-Sol printers.
I am looking at purchasing a new large format solvent printer to replace our old Rockhopper that when bang just over 18 minths ago now. and as we had a down turn in large formt orders we have not replaced it.
But as i say we are looking for a new one. I have been looking at the Roland TrueVis VG-640 Printer/Cutter and the Roland SolJet Pro 4 XR-640 Wide Format Inkjet Printer/Cutter.
If any one as one of these printers or any one can advise or help on which is the best printer out of the two models. i would be grateful for any input. i have around £20,000.00 to spend total on a new print and cut machine.
We have the Tru Vis, it's a great machine

Joe House

Hey Pig,

I would get to your Roland dealer and discuss with them what your needs and plans are. Ask to see sample prints off of both machines. Send them a file that you know what to expect and is representative of your typical work. If you can, go in and watch them print. Either one of these machines will be light years ahead of the old Rockhopper.

Good luck and let us know which way you go.

Joe

curbappeal

I bought a brand new TrueVis VG 640. It's being delivered Monday or Tuesday of next week. I can tell you Friday lol. I do love Roland though.

Posterboy

There have been a few members posting issues with banding on the XR640, especially on the faster settings. The white/metallic ink system requires extra attention every week without fail or it will block completely.

Hey Pink Pig Print,

Joe House is correct in his post recommending that you discuss all your needs, desires and budget are for a machine. They can guide you to the best fitting printer for you and your business. Either machine is great, it's just a matter of pairing you with the most appropriate devices for your needs.

If you don't have a dealer that you normally work with, you can find a list using our locator service online here: Dealer Locator | Roland

Take care,
Roland Tech Support
rn

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
I had to make this decision a few months ago and I opted to go for the XR since it was closer to what I already had knowledge of. Also, the TruVis was brand new at the time, with no real world people providing much feedback about it. The XR is a tank of a machine, and is working well for me, but a small part of me wishes I had gone the other way.

equippaint

We just replaced our roland sp300v with a mimaki cjv150-130. It came down to price and being a tiny bit nervous about new tech in the rolands. I was more worried with the change from versaworks to rasterlink but its really about as easy to use either of them. The mimaki really prints well and overall im happy with it. Its not real fair to compare and old 300v to a brand new machine so I wont go there. Im just saying that i wouldnt rule out other options as well.

Pink Pig Print

Hi. Curbappeal.
Thanks for the response . Yes do let me know how you get on with it as a new user. what was you previous machine? was it also a Roland?

Pink Pig Print

Thank you to all who have added their input so far.

Thank you all who have had the time to respond. it all helps.
It is not something i will rush in to as a £20,000.00 cash spend is a lot of cash to spend and not be 100% happy with what you have in the shop.
we have always been in the position were we have not had the funds so have had to buy second hand machines, and 90% of the time you inherit issues down the line.
so now have the option of buying new for a change.
Most are coming back saying the [FONT=&quot]Roland TrueVis VG-640 Printer/Cutter[/FONT].
Next step will have to be work out cost of m2 print as regards to ink use and ink cost. (if any one as worked this out for most of the base medias like gloss and Matt vinyl, canvas, banner, media let me know) as i can only go on the Roland figures.

Also we have the Sign & Digital show coming up in March at the NEC in the UK, so might be wort me holding off and seeing if there are any deals on the Roland stand.

CanuckSigns

Thank you all who have had the time to respond. it all helps.
It is not something i will rush in to as a £20,000.00 cash spend is a lot of cash to spend and not be 100% happy with what you have in the shop.
we have always been in the position were we have not had the funds so have had to buy second hand machines, and 90% of the time you inherit issues down the line.
so now have the option of buying new for a change.
Most are coming back saying the [FONT="]Roland TrueVis VG-640 Printer/Cutter[/FONT].
Next step will have to be work out cost of m2 print as regards to ink use and ink cost. (if any one as worked this out for most of the base medias like gloss and Matt vinyl, canvas, banner, media let me know) as i can only go on the Roland figures.

Also we have the Sign & Digital show coming up in March at the NEC in the UK, so might be wort me holding off and seeing if there are any deals on the Roland stand.

The cost difference in ink per m2 is insignificant, we would be talking fractions of pennies a day. The XR-640 can be made to run with third party ink if ink costs are that important to you, but why do that with a brand new machine. The Tru Viz takes an extra cartridge as there is a on board cleaning cartridge that has to be replaced every once in a while.

The tru viz is running all new printheads and ink, from my understanding Roland will be pushing towards these new technologies as they phase out older model printers and replace them with new models, my vote is with the Tru-Viz, but I've been running one for the last 6 months so I may be biased.

Pink Pig Print

Thank you for your input, it is apresheated. With regards to Copatable inks i never use them i tend to stay with the brand anyway.
i think after all the research and all the phone calls i know what i should do, and i have just had a call with a good price from Grafityp and with lots of extras.
I will let you know what i decide on but will be the TrueVis i think. It will get us back on track as our old one went bang 11 month ago so we have been losing work.

Thank Q
Darran
UK

Pink Pig Print

Well looks like it as to be the Roland TrueVis VG-640 Printer/Cutter.
and the best deal i can get is from Grafityp Uk at £14,500.00 + Vat. Time to make room in the shop and hope we can get one deliverd and installed a.s.a.p.
i will keep you updated as to when it arrives and how i get on with it.
Looking at the CMYK Lc Lm Lk W ink setup so we can do the garment transfers on dark garments and the clear vinyl print.
Thank for all the input, advice and PM's.

Morph1

Print all
why 640 if I may ask isn't there a 540 model available ? , standard vinyls come in 54", not sure why people want a 60" printer,
I worked with 2 Mimakis JV160 and JV300-160 to be honest in last 14 years I may have printed on a 60" material maybe 6 times in total... when people go large they go to Flex Face and that we simply sub out to folks with a 10ft printer...

Behrmon

Pr. Bear-Mon
why 640 if I may ask isn't there a 540 model available ? , standard vinyls come in 54", not sure why people want a 60" printer,
I worked with 2 Mimakis JV160 and JV300-160 to be honest in last 14 years I may have printed on a 60" material maybe 6 times in total... when people go large they go to Flex Face and that we simply sub out to folks with a 10ft printer...

We print a lot of 60", we have a 640 & a 540, I wish they were both 640s as I can use smaller media in the 640 but the other way around not so much. :)

Pink Pig Print

We print a lot of 60", we have a 640 & a 540, I wish they were both 640s as I can use smaller media in the 640 but the other way around not so much. :)
My thoughts as well. sometimes that extra inch or so helps. well that is what my wife says..LOL
If you have it you can use it if you need it.
So if we are looking at print media size when making the chose between the TrueVis VG-640 (with 1370 print width) and the SolJet Pro4 XR-640 (with 1625 print width) and can have both for the same price. even though the SolJet is x demo. which to go with?

Pink Pig Print

well did the research with some of your help, made the decision and i have just ordered and paid for the Roland TrueVis VG-640. So just parted with may savings. was not nice to do...LOL so should get it delivered and installed by the 7th Jan. So time to get the old printers sold and out the door and space made for the new beast.
I will post an up date when it arrives.
I thing i got a very good deal from Nigel at Grafityp Uk. we got-

Roland TrueVIS VG-640
64 inch 1370mm print and cut machine
500ml ink pouches
Ink configuration option CMYKLcLmLkW
New VersaWorks Dual RIP software
Contour cutting features include data sorting and perforated cut
Roland media take up unit
Increased cutting pressure
LED lighting – illuminated print carriage and maintenance area
Bluetooth control panel functionality from your existing smartphone or tablet
1 year on-site Roland warranty
Lifetime telephone support direct from our own engineers
Delivery , installation and training with one of our engineers (F.O.C. UK Mainland)
Free 1 Day intermediate digital printing course at Roland's academy
Free 2 Day vehicle wrap training course at our premises
Free Extra set of Inks CMYKLcLmLkW
Free £100 worth of print media
Free delivery and install.

All for £17500.00 (bps) Including the dreaded VAT at 20% (Roland base price for the printer is listed at £16,500.00 Pulse Vat

bulbus_maximus

Dear PPP,

Was interested in knowing your review about this machine. We have a VP540i which is 7 years old now.

We need to upgrade and wanted an opinion from a VG640 owner. We plan to use in CMYKLcLmLk config.

How is the ink usage, head performance, importantly print & cut alignment, can I do some fine adjustment while the cutting operation is happening during a job run (example for a 10ft print & cut job).

Thanks a lot
Rahul from sunderella.com