• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hi Everyone!

KillerKustom

My name is Larry and I am a owner of a powder coating company called Killer Kustom Powder Coatings. I bought a 34" chinese vinyl cutter with the FlexiStarter software to get my feet wet. I quickly learned how limited the starter version is in the design area and would like to upgrade down the road to the full version, but the price tag might prevent it... I originally bought the cutter just to do graphics for my powder coating business, but figured I might as well put it to use and do some vehicle graphics and business and vehicle signs. This is definitely going to stay as just a little side venture and I'm not going to advertise it anywhere besides on my own company truck. SO, I have no intention of getting up anywhere near some of your guys and gals level, but I would like to learn more about it so here I am.

On a side note. Does anyone know where I can find a eps file for the Monster Energy logo? I have a request for it on both some powder coating I have to do and for the rest of the dirt bike's plastic. I ordered a couple logo disk off of ebay and have searched the web looking for it on brands and some others, without luck. If not, I'll just try to find a bitmap of it and trace it, but I have been hit and miss with some of that stuff turning out as well as it should. I have A LOT to learn. So much I am thinking of hiring a friend who is a graphic artist to teach me some of the basics.

Thanks in advance and nice meeting everyone!

Last edited:

AUTO-FX

Welcome to the show, Larry. Curious to know how the cut vinyl graphic is incorporated into the powder coating process - sounds interesting

J Hill Designs

welcome from cali....I just bought some powder and want to coat out a few customers objects (no way near your level) how do I do it?

SignosaurusRex

On a side note. Does anyone know where I can find a eps file for the Monster Energy logo? I have a request for it on both some powder coating I have to do and for the rest of the dirt bike's plastic....................

You can get everything you need directly from MONSTER BEVERAGE CO.
You just need to contact their Marketing Department and for a small fee, they will set you up with whatever you need including a license to produce their ®Shtuff. Otherwise, that hit and miss thing you speak of may just turn into a big hit from them (expensive and painful)........not the kind of hit you are looking for.

Welcome Aboard.........Enjoy the cruise................

SignManiac

I too would be interested in doing my own powder coating. I had a guy do some a couple of years back and he ended up screwing me good. I have plenty of room. What do I need for a setup? I don't want to run it as a business, just for my own personal stuff.

Oh, and welcome aboard.

KillerKustom

Welcome to the show, Larry. Curious to know how the cut vinyl graphic is incorporated into the powder coating process - sounds interesting
Some of the higher end vinyls like Oracal 651/751 can be used either as a graphic under some of the lower temp. curing clears, or as a graphic mask to do graphics like a painter would use. The graphics part is very tricky to do with powder, but it is something I am working on and having pretty good results. It's much harder than with paint, but it can be done. The first pic is Oracal 651 over safety orange and under a acrylic clear (also my first attempt at bitmap tracing). The rest are practice pieces done in completely powder coating.

On a side note. I just had a private message asking how I wasn't violating the terms of agreement, and if I could not provide proof, I would be deleted by the end of the day, so I might not be here much longer. I gave my business page as a reference, this is my only post so far, so I guess we'll see!

Attachments

• 1503wm.jpg
    1503wm.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC01451.JPG
    DSC01451.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 1506wm.jpg
    1506wm.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 115

KillerKustom

You can get everything you need directly from MONSTER BEVERAGE CO.
You just need to contact their Marketing Department and for a small fee, they will set you up with whatever you need including a license to produce their ®Shtuff. Otherwise, that hit and miss thing you speak of may just turn into a big hit from them (expensive and painful)........not the kind of hit you are looking for.

Welcome Aboard.........Enjoy the cruise................

Thank you. That's kinda what I figured and I am going to look into it. Even thought I didn't need to, I contacted Harley Davidson about using their logo, it's better to spend a little than get in trouble and spend a lot! lol

KillerKustom

I call BS on that.
I called and left a message at 414-343-8664, Explained my business, gave them my EIN#, and assured them that I would not sell their logo, only to be used as graphics on acutaly Harley parts, which I own 2 Harley's. That was 4 months ago. Three months ago, I met and talked to Wiile G. himself, showed him my '77 shovelhead custom, gave him my card, and explained how I do grpahics with coating and told him I had called, but never got a return call. He laughed and said I wouldn't be too worried about it.

gabagoo

I too would be interested in doing my own powder coating. I had a guy do some a couple of years back and he ended up screwing me good. I have plenty of room. What do I need for a setup? I don't want to run it as a business, just for my own personal stuff.

Oh, and welcome aboard.

I wondered how many posts into this thread it would take to see that!!!

welcome from Canada

Fitch

"I too would be interested in doing my own powder coating. I had a guy do some a couple of years back and he ended up screwing me good. I have plenty of room. What do I need for a setup? I don't want to run it as a business, just for my own personal stuff."

+1

I have a local powder coater, he seems to work hard, advertises quite a lot and seems to market well. Old school I would say - he seems to know a lot about the industry.

I think he employs about 6 guys and feeds their families...but I think he is a bit of a rip off merchant... I am sure I can powder coat much cheaper. Was thinking about doing just my local church, and friends while building up my business part time while I do signs on the side. I have many successful businesses and I think there is a great opportunity in the powder coat business.

How much money can I make doing this?

KillerKustom

Look, I'm not here to step on anyones toes or break any rules, or do anything illegal. I'm learning as I go, I try to do everything legit, and I claim every penny I make on my taxes. I understand your pride in your profession and I am not here to impose on anyones business. My whole reason for buying my own vinyl cutter was for lack of sign companies in my area, and finding one that would work with me on my needs. I could be the smallest and simplist of sign makers on here and have no intention of doing the work you some of you are doing.
I'm not feeling a very warm welcome. At least not like we open to all newbies on the powder coating forums I visit. If you want to see how we treat newbies, check out www.powder365.com/forum.