• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hi from the UK! Gerber Edge help needed!

Lew Hands

Hi,

Just got myself a gerber edge 2 and an envision plotter from an office clearout. Both have been sat for a LONG time, and I didn't know if they would work or not. I've ran a test cut on the envision and it cut, and ive layed some foil down on the edge too so thats good. I assume the gerber forum will be best for print test advice etc?

thanks,

lew

J Hill Designs

Run a full height (11.5") spot color gradient like the attached - should show any blown pixels

Attachments

• Untitled-3.jpg
    Untitled-3.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 135

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Run a full height (11.5") spot color gradient like the attached - should show any blown pixels

I use a similar setup, except it is a solid fill, 11.8" x 3", for a first print after turning my Edge on. It serves to distribute the heat evenly in the printhead and eliminates the occurrence of any pinholes or dropouts in the prints that follow.

J Hill Designs

I use a similar setup, except it is a solid fill, 11.8" x 3", for a first print after turning my Edge on. It serves to distribute the heat evenly in the printhead and eliminates the occurrence of any pinholes or dropouts in the prints that follow.

ah so thats the initial 'each day' print? that makes sense.

The gradient test is for checking dead pixels, correct?

Gary Wiant

The best way to check for bad pixels is to print a 70% solid box of Colbalt blue, I know at least up to a few years ago that was how Gerber checked the print head. If it.s bad you’ll see what resembles rail road tracks.

Lew Hands

Thanks for the replies guys. I've printed a full width block. The first looked awful, but bearing in mind I think the edge has been sat for 6 years I expected it. After a few blocks, the print is good, apart from one edge is solid, and the other edge is a bit 'feathered' and also I have one dead pixel by the looks of it, its like a .020" gap right down the middle.

Also when I try a test print, the heater doesn't come on and it just breaks the foil. Why is this?

Lewis

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Thanks for the replies guys. I've printed a full width block. The first looked awful, but bearing in mind I think the edge has been sat for 6 years I expected it. After a few blocks, the print is good, apart from one edge is solid, and the other edge is a bit 'feathered' and also I have one dead pixel by the looks of it, its like a .020" gap right down the middle.

Also when I try a test print, the heater doesn't come on and it just breaks the foil. Why is this?

Lewis

Your reply is confusing. You say you ran several test prints to determine that you are getting a gap in the print and some edge feathering, yet you also say that you are breaking the foil and that the heater isn't coming on. Here are some things to be aware of and to try:

1. The printhead should be cleaned by wiping it with a lint free cloth soaked in 99%+ pure isopropyl alcohol. Gerber sells a recommended wipe for this purpose. It is possible that there may be some grit or dirt causing the gap.

2. The gap can be caused by a blown pixel in the printhead or by any number of dirty connectors in the Edge circuitry, a blown fuse or by a bad ribbon cable. The feathering is most likely the use of old supplies or your own inexperience. The foil breaking, likewise, may be due to old supplies, the cartridge jamming, or by bad clutches in the foil transport. If your printhead is the cause, you may find that a replacement is more expensive than you may be willing to pay. Here in the States, the cost typically ranges from $2,500 to $4,000 to replace a printhead.

I would recommend to you that you purchase some Gerber alcohol wipes, some fresh Gerber 220 white vinyl and a fresh cartridge of spot black foil and do some further testing.

Lew Hands

Thanks for the reply Fred.

When i send a block from omega to print, it prints ok, on new vinyl with a new cartridge, other than the tiny line down the job.
When i try a 'test print' direct on the edge, the edge doesnt warm up, so ends up breaking the foil.

Lewis

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Thanks for the reply Fred.

When i send a block from omega to print, it prints ok, on new vinyl with a new cartridge, other than the tiny line down the job.
When i try a 'test print' direct on the edge, the edge doesnt warm up, so ends up breaking the foil.

Lewis

It's been years since I've run a test print just from the Edge but I don't know what the difference would be as to why it would break your foil other than what I suggested in my previous post. For now, I would recommend that you focus on the non printing pixel with the suggestions I've made. Unplug the machine and rremove the sides, then remake every connector you can find and blow out any accumulated dust. Also check the black rubber drum under the vinyl for cleanliness. Clean your printhead and then see if you still have the non-printing pixel.

Marlene

have you sent a job to the Edge yet? make up a small one with a couple of colors and see what happens. it will either look good or it won't. from that you should be able to tell if it is working OK. clean the head as Fred said with the correct cleaning pads and not just any old rag with a cleaner