• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hi There, New To Site

Blaster

Adam B.
Hello from CT. New to the site. My wife and I are starting up a sign and graphics shop and looking for our first printer.

AKwrapguy

If you looking for a new printer look at an HP latex. they have some nice machines that will allow you to print on many many materials, plus not out gassing, or fumes which will allow you laminate right after printing to increase you work flow.

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
Welcome from Atlanta! You may consider outsourcing your wide format printing in the beginning until you build your business to the point that you have enough revenue to support the cost of the printer. This would give you a better idea of what your market demands are and you can make a better choice for the type of printer you'd need. It would also give you some breathing room to learn how to setup artwork, learn the software and not have the additional headaches of the learning curve you'll have with the quirks of a printer. It would also let you concentrate on your business management, sales efforts and production techniques. Once you have a good handle on those, then choose the printer that's right for you and make the purchase and add it to your workflow.

I was a field consultant for one of the national franchises for 7 years earlier in my career and have seen so many new sign businesses make huge capital investments in equipment without the business plan to back it up. Whatever you choose, I wish you the best of luck and welcome to the industry and to Signs 101!

Blaster

Adam B.
If you looking for a new printer look at an HP latex. they have some nice machines that will allow you to print on many many materials, plus not out gassing, or fumes which will allow you laminate right after printing to increase you work flow.[/QUOTE
Welcome from Atlanta! You may consider outsourcing your wide format printing in the beginning until you build your business to the point that you have enough revenue to support the cost of the printer. This would give you a better idea of what your market demands are and you can make a better choice for the type of printer you'd need. It would also give you some breathing room to learn how to setup artwork, learn the software and not have the additional headaches of the learning curve you'll have with the quirks of a printer. It would also let you concentrate on your business management, sales efforts and production techniques. Once you have a good handle on those, then choose the printer that's right for you and make the purchase and add it to your workflow.

I was a field consultant for one of the national franchises for 7 years earlier in my career and have seen so many new sign businesses make huge capital investments in equipment without the business plan to back it up. Whatever you choose, I wish you the best of luck and welcome to the industry and to Signs 101!

Thanks for the input.

d fleming

Good advice from Blue. Have either you or your wife ever worked in the industry before or have any training at all?

Blaster

Adam B.

We plan on doing banners, wraps, decals, pop, as well as electric and carved. A lot of the gear we own already so the printer will really be our only capital purchase at this point. I considered looking at a used HP260. My worry is that Ill end up with someone elses headache. I want to be able to do 64" so I was looking at the HP 335 or 365. Then again some swear by eco-solvent. I like the idea that I can print white with those for clear decals. Wife and I are heading to the show next month so I plan on visiting with all the manufacturers to see whats out there.

Blaster

Adam B.
Good advice from Blue. Have either you or your wife ever worked in the industry before or have any training at all?
Well my wife, no but she has managed many businesses. Myself, I have an interesting background. I currently design special effects design for television, concerts, award shows, etc. I spend the majority of my time creating animations and previz artwork in Adobe CC, C4D, 3dMax for clients. So as far as the artwork end of it, I'm confident I'll be ok. Before that I owned a sign installation and maintenance co. Majority of my work was for a large property owner here in the Northeast. I had about 30 large pylon signs as well as numerous light boxes and channel letters on store fronts. What I'm trying to do is to put a bit of my fx designs into everyday sign designs to give the client a little extra, if that doesn't sound too corny :) We'll both have a lot to learn. It was many years ago when I was in the biz, but looking forward to jumping back in. This is one of the reasons Signs101 is such a great resource.

Last edited:

AKwrapguy

We plan on doing banners, wraps, decals, pop, as well as electric and carved. A lot of the gear we own already so the printer will really be our only capital purchase at this point. I considered looking at a used HP260. My worry is that Ill end up with someone elses headache. I want to be able to do 64" so I was looking at the HP 335 or 365. Then again some swear by eco-solvent. I like the idea that I can print white with those for clear decals. Wife and I are heading to the show next month so I plan on visiting with all the manufacturers to see whats out there.

As far as white ink goes, unless that's big part of your business I would stay clear of it. White ink can be fickle and if you go eco-solvent your machine will cycle the white ink even if your not using it which means that your paying for an ink that you rarely use. When I had a Roland versa-cam we looked at the white ink and a lot of people (even the re-seller) telling us that you 'can print with white' but it was a pain in the ass and the white ink was more expensive and to be honest the market just wasn't there for us to justify the cost.

Blue has a great idea about outsourcing most of you stuff till you can get your feet under you. As far a picking up a used printer talk to BigFishDM he might have a floor model or a used unit that's still under warranty.

Look into the HP Latex Academy as well.

shoresigns

As far as white ink goes, unless that's big part of your business I would stay clear of it. White ink can be fickle and if you go eco-solvent your machine will cycle the white ink even if your not using it which means that your paying for an ink that you rarely use. When I had a Roland versa-cam we looked at the white ink and a lot of people (even the re-seller) telling us that you 'can print with white' but it was a pain in the *** and the white ink was more expensive and to be honest the market just wasn't there for us to justify the cost.

This is what I've heard from others as well. Don't get white ink or metallic on your first printer.

hello and welcome!!!!

also! I have my HP L25500 for sale $2500, works great! we upgraded and dont have the room for it. I have pictures and video from the day we unplugged it!

Feel free to call me 816-752-4928 (Johanna)

Blaster

Adam B.
Well after searching, visiting w the various printer manufacturers, I came across a deal I couldn't pass up. It's used but in good shape. I think we did well for our first printer until we're ready to move up. Best part, no payments.
IMG_2262.JPG