• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

hi y'all newbie needs little help please

cmjake007

hi- i've been out of graphic arts for awhile !! use to be just cut and paste, i mean with scisors and glue !!!!
well i picked up a roland sx12 and signlab7 having some fun . now all of a sudden i cannot go from photo to outline, so i have something to cut. i cannot figure out what i am doing different. whine i click outline i just get black where the pic was. i want to get the slider again so i can adjust for the outline. anyone know where i'm going wrong ?? thanks cary

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
are you trying to cut a picture? you'd need to vectorize it first....its been awhile since i used signlab, so i'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do....

cmjake007

yes, i am trying to vectorize a pic. i thought i did it before under the transform- outline . but that does not seem to work now. any clues ??

BobM

Welcome from Cape Cod. You need to vectorize before you go to transform, outline. If you have already done that check that you have checked outline, not inline and check the color of the outline.

geb

Do you have the proper signlab modules to perform what your trying to do? Go to help on the top/ about signlab, what version? I'm running e.6.1 Signlab Color Master.

George

cmjake007

i have signlab 7.1. i understand i need to vectoize. that is what i am having trouble with. if someone could walk me threw it, that would be great. thanks

geb

That's why I asked you to go to, in Signlab, Help/about signlab/ what version are you running? 7.1 doesn't tell me much. Signlab has different versions, modules, you purchase, that increases what you can do in Signlab. Entry, Vinyl, Vinyl Pro, Print & Cut, Designer are some of the versions. If you have just the entry you probably can't vectorize anything till you upgrade to one the packages I mentioned that contains vectorization.

You can to www.cadlink.com and see what package is needed to vectorize, or maybe you already have it. Vectorization is not an easy process, also.

Here's a link to their web showing the different packages of version 8 and what package is needed to vectorize, in the past their links have not shown up, hopefully this will for you.
http://www.cadlink.com/products/signLab/sl_8_pkgs_compr.php

George

George

cmjake007

hello all, hello george, sorry, i have signlab/vinyl ver.7.1. as i said i was able to vectorize using it, but now i must being doing something wrong. if someone could walk me threw it i would be grateful. cary

cmjake007

sorry, i'll word my question better

i have signlab/vinyl 7.1, i am just learning it. i was able to vectorize a pic last week. now it seems i have forgotten a step. can anyone walk me threw the process of vectorizing a pic. so i can again do it. thanks, cary

JR's

SignLab provides two methods of vectorizing an image into line art. The classic vectorization method provided leading-edge tools that were suitable for previous SignLab users. The new method uses the Prepare to Vectorize Wizard, which introduces new tools for improving the image quality, knocking out the image background, and posterizing the image colors prior to tracing

JR's

Import or scan an image onto the workspace. Typical examples would be bitmap, JPEG, or TIFF images.

Double-click the image to activate AccuScan editing mode. The AccuScan controls will appear within the SmartBar.

Click the Posterize Region button to activate the Posterization dialog.

In the Posterization dialog, choose the maximum number of distinct shades of color that should remain in the image, and then click OK. The goal is to simplify the image, such that distinct regions can be easily converted into line art.

hope this helps

chopper

go to cadlink.com and look under training they have videos and such to teach you how to use your sign lab, down load the videos and watch them
//chopper

tintguy31794

double click the picture
click the two color pie charts
after that is done click the button right above that
boom your vectorized, but you'll still have to clean it up,
I generally start from scratch which I do by
drawing a square and then pressing ctrl + j
and then double clicking it... you can then add more nodes by double clicking the line

i'm using 8 print and cut... so this might not be helpful at all to you.