• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hiding white edges?

Stagecraft

Doing some partial wrap work on our own shop truck which is black. Some elements of the job will be a full bleed black print that will leave an exposed white edge when cut and applied to the vehicle. What are standard techniques in this kind of situation...Sharpie? - Boyd

zapblam

overlaps low on vehicle, on an existing body line or no overlap by making each body panel a seperate print

J Hill Designs

he's talking about the white edge of vinyl showing after its cut...

I kinda have the same question...mostly just dont ever care about it however...

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I've printed bleed cuts for vehicles on white vinyl since 1998 and have never had a client mention it nor have I ever felt any concern over it. Probably because the reflection of the vehicle color gets picked up by the exposed white. If you're using media that's thicker than 2 mils, which I never do for vehicles, it might be more noticeable.

HulkSmash

If you're talking about yoru cutter drifting and showing white outlines then...

if it's text i usually offset the path by .5 inch, then cut. the original cut line.. that way if there is any drift it doesn't show. And for graphics, i take the background color or texture.. or picture and add bleed to it, that way there's no white to be cut.

Stagecraft

The job was to be white copy on a black background which was to be applied to a black truck. The text weight was quite fine and not a good candidate for vinyl lettering. Seeing as this was our own shop vehicle perhaps I was being overly picky about the white edge of the vinyl showing. In the end we changed strategies and went with a printable brushed mylar...stupid expensive but it looks great.
Thanks all for the replies. - Boyd

formanek

If you are hand cutting it... under cut. Angle your blade so that it is cutting more from the edge closest to the vehicle and not to the top of the vinyl. Does that make sense? I do it all the time and it helps a lot.

Mosh

? ?? put the bottom layer on first then the top, looking down you won't see it? glad I don't work for you!!!
Or don't have a panel edge in the small text... I guessI still don't get the question...

Wait I don't work for anyone....not even my customers....

ssouth

omg, i haven't been here for a while. I bought my printer back in November so I came a lot but lately I've been doing pretty good on my own. I actually asked this question and never could get anyone to understand what I was talking about BUT I figured out on my own: a. most people won't notice. b. angle your blade in as someone suggested above. c. use a 2 mil or thinner vinyl and it won't show up as bad. I love the fact that I saw all of these answers above now that I'm more expericened and confident in myself. guess that means I've stepped up from "idiot" to "beginner". lol thanks guys :)

Stagecraft

Like I said earlier, I may have been too picky.
That being said, I am a car nut and this was going on my own vehicle.
In the end I went another route. - Boyd