• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

High Quality PVC prints

McDubbs

Good Morning All,
We have a client that could turn into a great customer, but at the moment we are struggling to hit the mark. They initially wanted us to reverse print on the PVC and back with white vinyl. Direct printing with our UV flatbed isn't the issue, the problems arise when trying to back it up with white vinyl. The piece in question is a 14.5"x22 11/16" PVC with a 10.5"x16" hole in the middle. The customer has brought in the drop off to make this project a little easier. We don't want to mount using the laminator for fear of uneven pressure hitting the PVC will crack it when it reaches the recess. Trying to hinge mount the white vinyl is a disaster and results in many little bubbles on the viewing side that are not visible from the back. Pulled up the vinyl which pulled up the print, so we clean and print again. I have tried printing on some regular Sihl and laminating with double sided optically clear, but this too results in little bubbles that are noticeable from the viewing side and not the back. Decide to print on clear vinyl, hinge mount the white vinyl and am left with a beautiful piece that still needs to be affixed to the PVC. Tried wet mounting with Rapid-Tac which seemed to adhere nicely, but seemed to be leaving water stains on the view-able side. Have since tried wet mounting with a solution comprised of a drop Johnson's Baby Shampoo in a 32oz. sprayer full of water. This too is resulting in water stains, this time in the form of droplets. I am attaching a picture of the PVC with the clear/white vinyl combo mounted to the back. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to achieve a smoother installation? This is supposed to go into a museum or exhibition of some sort, so the clients are rather picky. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 20160607_094054.jpg
    20160607_094054.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 154

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Why not reverse print and spray the white on. You'll have very nice results from painting. Or just flood coat them on a screen printing table.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Hmm....never seen any. Always use Lexan or Acrylic. What's the cost comparison as well as benefit of clear PVC?
Couldn't say, as I've never personally used it. I do know it exists, though. Google returns quite a few suppliers.