• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hockey rink board ads - material used?

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Morning All,

Hope everyone had a good weekend out there.

Just curious as to what people use for hockey rink board ads in terms of materials/printing method. I've got a good customer that is on the board of a bigger community center and they want to update some boards and possibly re-do all their rinks. There is a potential for a bigger project here so just want to do my research before I even get involved.

They did mention that the current boards do not have a "protective coating" on them and the graphics wear out quickly. They also mentioned that another community center/rink uses clear covers to protect the ads and these hold up much better. Couldn't get much more of a description than that but I'm assuming it's some kind of acrylic/lexan cover?

Is there some sort of standard for this type of application? I'm sure there is for NHL boards, but not sure if there is a SOP for smaller rinks.

I have heard of and used (for the shop) puck board before, but just not sure if this is the correct material to use.

I will be doing a proper site check this week but just want to get educated first.

Thanks in advance.

Dan360

It depends on how long they want them up. In the NHL they're usually only used for a single game and new ones put on for the next one. Up here in Canada there has been quite a bit of testing on this in the past years. They're typically done with a thick vinyl and a thick laminate that are both rated for cold weather. I personally have never seen the polycarb method but I can see it working.

Here's an article about the topic posted on Friday you may find useful:

https://www.signmedia.ca/arena-board-advertising/

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
That article literally recommends using ~0.25" (quarter inch) thick vinyl, and then doubles down and says 3-4mm lamination on top. Besides using both metric and imperial measurements, I think he meant 2 mils. (thousandths of an inch). Doesn't sound like a guy with 20 years experience in wide-format.

Unless, there really is a quarter inch thick vinyl with matching lamination formulated specifically for hockey games.
I'd think 1/2" tall logos would start effecting the path of the puck if it hits them during a game... so I'm pretty sure he's wrong.

bigben

Drytac will come out with a material especially designed for this. I'm waiting to have the specifications when it will be available.

CanuckSigns

Pat:

There are a number of ways to approach this, depending on how long they want them to last. I would print onto a good 3 mil vinyl like 3651, and laminate with a thick textured floor laminate such as 3M 3645, these would easily last a season if applied to ACM or aluminum sheeting. Reverse flatbed printed onto polycarb would be the longest lasting option for sure though

Billct2

We install some that are supplied by a national company that specializes in sports applications. It just looks/feels like a heavy, very sticky vinyl with a good laminate. They usually lat a full season in a college rink. But for the graphics in front of the benches (where they get beat to hell by the players scrambling over the boards ice whacking it with skates) we make them in house, reverse on 1/8" thick lexan. Those last many years. We ease the edges and counter sink the screws, lining up with existing holes.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Pat:

There are a number of ways to approach this, depending on how long they want them to last. I would print onto a good 3 mil vinyl like 3651, and laminate with a thick textured floor laminate such as 3M 3645, these would easily last a season if applied to ACM or aluminum sheeting. Reverse flatbed printed onto polycarb would be the longest lasting option for sure though

Hey Scott, thanks for the info! Will look into these options and will sound slightly more educated when I meet with the customer.

Cheers!

White Haus

Not a Newbie
It depends on how long they want them up. In the NHL they're usually only used for a single game and new ones put on for the next one. Up here in Canada there has been quite a bit of testing on this in the past years. They're typically done with a thick vinyl and a thick laminate that are both rated for cold weather. I personally have never seen the polycarb method but I can see it working.

Here's an article about the topic posted on Friday you may find useful:

https://www.signmedia.ca/arena-board-advertising/

Thanks Dan, interesting article. I also didn't realize that the NHL boards get replaced after every game, but that makes sense! Those sponsors pay big bucks for that space and obviously want their ads looking fresh. Would be a great contract to have...sounds like a never-ending revenue stream.

Tattoosleeve

We provide the boards at one of our local rinks. They have clean 1/4" lexan facing that is permanently on the boards. We provide graphics printed on 2903 and mounted to 1/16" polystyrene. Would just print directly to polystyrene if we had a flatbed.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
We provide the boards at one of our local rinks. They have clean 1/4" lexan facing that is permanently on the boards. We provide graphics printed on 2903 and mounted to 1/16" polystyrene. Would just print directly to polystyrene if we had a flatbed.

So it just slides in like an insert? I like this idea.

I'm going to meet with the customer at the rink this week so that should clear some things up. Apparently they don't have the depth for a lexan cover/overlay on this particular rink but we'll see when I get on site.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Tattoosleeve

So it just slides in like an insert? I like this idea.

I'm going to meet with the customer at the rink this week so that should clear some things up. Apparently they don't have the depth for a lexan cover/overlay on this particular rink but we'll see when I get on site.

I'll keep you guys posted.
I think they remove the lexan put the poly up and then re-install the lexan over top.

Case

Thanks Dan, interesting article. I also didn't realize that the NHL boards get replaced after every game, but that makes sense! Those sponsors pay big bucks for that space and obviously want their ads looking fresh. Would be a great contract to have...sounds like a never-ending revenue stream.

The article is nearly 50% not true... I have worked with hockey boards, rinks, including the NHL, etc., since 1996...... I laughed and sent this to people that know this article was quite funny... over factual...

kcollinsdesign

Old member
For local college and ice rinks, we use flatbed printing on styrene placed under .177 polycarbonate. The pc will get pretty scratched up, depending on where that dasher board is. The pros do new boards with no protection for every game; their advertisers do not want glare or scratches over their message!

Case

For local college and ice rinks, we use flatbed printing on styrene placed under .177 polycarbonate. The pc will get pretty scratched up, depending on where that dasher board is. The pros do new boards with no protection for every game; their advertisers do not want glare or scratches over their message!

The pros/NHL do not do new boards for every game.... They change out their local ads every 4-5 home games roughly which is required by the NHL........... They are pretty beat up by 4-5 home games and unless you get close up shots on tv, they still look great.............. They only put new ones up if they broadcast on a different network from game to game, because the big networks ads are different then a great deal of the home teams respective local ads....I will add in, some teams may change by game or more often, but most do not... I don't know the working of every team, but I do know what a lot of them do....

I have worked with the NHL since 1996 for several teams............. Rarely has a board ever been changed during a game...... I know several of the teams, its never happened..... Some teams rotate their adds, some teams leave their ads in the same spot all season...... Some advertisers pay to keep their ad in certain spots for the whole season so it doesn't rotate........... If anyone has any questions, feel free to message me....... read the article that is linked above in this thread and I can tell you how false a great deal of it is.....

Cheers and have a great weekend!
Case

Last edited: