• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Homemade Rolls Roller: Any suggestions

WrapSpot

I took an old Gerber Solara Ion X flatbed printer out of service. After robbing it of all useful parts I am making the flatbed into something similar to a rolls roller. I have the bed, bearings and rails from the 5'x10' printer. I still need an actual roller. I'm thinking maybe a roller from a laminator (any thoughts?) at least 64" wide (maybe up to 68" wide). (Does anyone have something they want to get rid of?, PM me.)

I was planning to use a crank arm to lower the roller, but does anyone have a better suggestion?

Does anyone use a rolls roller and have a suggestion for features they can't live without?

Has anyone built a homemade one and have any suggestions?

Would you recommend a glass surface or some other material?

Thanks,

Garrick

ikarasu

I took an old Gerber Solara Ion X flatbed printer out of service. After robbing it of all useful parts I am making the flatbed into something similar to a rolls roller. I have the bed, bearings and rails from the 5'x10' printer. I still need an actual roller. I'm thinking maybe a roller from a laminator (any thoughts?) at least 64" wide (maybe up to 68" wide). (Does anyone have something they want to get rid of?, PM me.)

I was planning to use a crank arm to lower the roller, but does anyone have a better suggestion?

Does anyone use a rolls roller and have a suggestion for features they can't live without?

Has anyone built a homemade one and have any suggestions?

Would you recommend a glass surface or some other material?

Thanks,

Garrick

We just had the glass on ours break.... had to get some new glass. On rolls roller, it has to be clear, since theres lights underneath... makes it easy for cutting / lining up where to place graphics. I'd suggest you install lights, and glass.... if not glass, it has to be something hard. If it's wood and it bows/warps, half of your print wont apply properly. Glass is probably the best option, albeit pricey. Had to pay I think $800 CAD for the glass... which weights a couple hundred lbs, and hire someone with special tools to install it...cost around 2K Canadian.

WrapSpot

thanks. The current surface is very very flat, but has holes from the vacuum table so our plan was to get a piece of glass.