• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How anal are you.......... ??

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Doing some layouts for a customer for Christmas signs. I put Saturday, December 1st and she wants Sat. Dec 1. She thinks it looks better, but I tell her you shouldn't abbreviate on signs such as this, other than maybe St or Blvd. She says do it her way, which I did. Just wondering about the rest of you, unless you just go willy-nillly

:thankyou: Gino​

White Haus

Not a Newbie
A) What kind of customer orders Christmas signs in friggin' April....? Most of my customers order things that they needed last week!

B) I agree with you, and useless abbreviations like that are also a pet peeve of mine. I consider myself pretty anal when it comes to spelling and layouts and would cringe if I was told to word it that way

billsines

Doing some layouts for a customer for Christmas signs. I put Saturday, December 1st and she wants Sat. Dec 1. She thinks it looks better, but I tell her you shouldn't abbreviate on signs such as this, other than maybe St or Blvd. She says do it her way, which I did. Just wondering about the rest of you, unless you just go willy-nillly

:thankyou: Gino​

I am anal to the point that I refused to do a layout with the customer's improper punctuation. I don't want my work out there with improper punctuation. I think it was an apostrophe issue.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
For me it would depend. Personally, it should be spelled out, but if there is a space constraint, then the abbreviation would work just fine. People will understand it either way.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
A) What kind of customer orders Christmas signs in friggin' April....? Most of my customers order things that they needed last week!

B) I agree with you, and useless abbreviations like that are also a pet peeve of mine. I consider myself pretty anal when it comes to spelling and layouts and would cringe if I was told to word it that way

A good one..... the kind I like.

As for the people who are afraid to post..... it's still a free country, so do as you see fit. If the title upsets you, just think of it as rolling with the times. :wink:

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
For me it would depend. Personally, it should be spelled out, but if there is a space constraint, then the abbreviation would work just fine. People will understand it either way.

I understand, but a long time ago, an old timer told me, if you're any good at what you do, you can find a way to make anything fit..... and properly while still aesthetically.

George S

I have learned in this business that what we think doesnt matter much. We have customers who value our opinions and then we have those that want it only the way they tell us. We have made corrections with simple things like spelling, abbreviations and hyphenations, etc and have been told to do it the way they had it. I have a retired English school teacher working for me who is VERY good at knowing what is proper and it drivers her crazy but we ALWAYS do what the customer wants.... over course we have them sign off on it!

StarSign

Years ago we had a customer in need of business hours for their window. She was very specific that it needed to be red. We let her know, that you wouldn't be able to read it and explained why, we suggested white, she held her ground. Knowing we were going to have to redo it after she saw it on the window, we padded the price. My installer went out applied the graphic and walked away. Twenty minutes later she called and said she couldn't read it and would pay to have it redone in white. Some people say "you're the sign guys you know best" and others think they are Picasso.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We just had one like that last week. Customer has 3 separate door entrances to their showroom. What was there was frosted and looked nice. They are going through a re-branding and everything is changing over to all black. They requested black on these 3 full glass doors. I explained to them.... even showed them a sample, as I had some vinyl out in the truck and she said, that's what they want. I agree with you, but I can't change it. I took a picture of all 3 doors and put black on it and they e-mailed back, you forgot to put our logo on the door. I wrote back, no I didn't, you just can't see it. I received a change-order for those 3 doors. Gonna go with frosted vinyl. Yeah..... one for the sign guy !!

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
So on windows for straight single-color cut vinyl... white and frosted are pretty much the only things recommended right? Maybe yellow?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
White, frosted and I always add, anything light in color like pastels will work, best.

HulkSmash

We care about our customers success, and make suggestions on what we think would best help them succeed, but at the end of their day it's their call and we never fight them on it.

2B

when dealing with dates, I prefer the mm/dd/yyyy method

we regularly offer suggestions (font, color, relevant information, etc.) the designers also will show multi versions if the as requested looks like a big pile of #&%$