• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How big is your shop sq.ft ceiling ht etc?

Building out new shop with ac (I am in FL.) and looking for suggestions.Looking at 9 or 10 ft. ceiling and about 1300 sq.ft.(48'x28').With drive in bay etc.I will have a gerber edge ,15 in. plotter and 64 in. printer, 64 in. plotter, laminator, computer etc.Any sketch's welcome.I am sure I will ad more equipment as time goes by.By the way the building is will be build on our property at our home.
Thanks
Tom

D

Digitall

Our wharehouse is 20 foot high with a 14 foot door opening. If you are doing vehicles you are ok but limited with a 12 foot opening.

Mikeifg

How much volume are you guy's doing? Just remember your building will add to your property taxes especially one that big.

TheSnowman

9' office/work area ceilings, and (4) 12' X 14' doors in the shop. I'd probably do 14' X 14' if I could have my choice...just a little bit limited...but the depth has been my biggest problem so far. The shop was an old service shop before we bought the place and gutted it, so not real deep for flatbeds and stuff like that.

S

Sign-Man Signs

3000 sq ft. Bay doors front and rear. 22 ft. ceilings.

iSign

I envy you owning your own building. I shudder at the thought of what I've spent in building out my leased warehouse space, not to mention the rent over 12 years, although I seriously considered buying last year before proceeding with an expansion plan, and I just couldn't afford it. With the economic changes since then, I know I am fortunate I made that decision.

12-1/2 yrs. ago, I started by renting a warehouse with 750 sq. ft. for $600/month. It had concrete floor, corrugated walls & a 24' ceiling. It had a man door & 12'w x 15'h roll door, next to the 3' man door & one window. Over the next 11 years it gradually evolved to completing a second & a third floor with 7-1/2' ceiling heights. Also gradually, the entire first floor became ultra clean production environment with VCT tiles floors, textured sheetrock walls and ceiling& recessed lighting. The roll door still serves us because we have a sliding glass door looking in on the vinyl production room, giving us more natural lighting & a second way in and out since the steel door is right where the sales counter is often in use. Other than 2 staircases, the second floor covers the entire 750 sq. ft., but the third floor has a 4' x 10' opening above the roll door. This makes a great landing where items can be forklifted up to the second floor, and on occasion we can wrestle items between the second and third floor more easily than the stairs. Over time the second floor has become a fairly clean office environment, while the third floor is all "shop" environment, and a good place to store material, coat out boards, or assemble woodworking etc.

Last year, after years of anticipation, I was able to secure the identical sized neighboring space through negotiating a price to compensate the previous tenant to move. By now, rent on both units was up to $1000 a month. The previous tenant built a 500 sq. ft. second floor at a 10' height. I've extended that to the full 750 now. On the first floor, there was a nice office build out in one front corner behind the man door & window. I knocked a door between that office & my front showroom & continued my VCT tile into there.

The rest of that new first floor environment was unfinished exposed studs & ceiling joists, with no electrical in the unit. It is now insulated for soundproofing, sheeted painted & wired with surface mount conduit for my 5x10 CNC router, dust collection, panel saw & my plans to dabble in some welding & light metal fabrication on the one remaining concrete floor section.

Above that, on the second floor, all my tool storage & large fabrication area exists again with the luxury of a roll door height allowing for forklifting or otherwise manipulating large items more easily between floors. That production area has another door & 3 steps up from the original 2nd floor & a minimum of electrical to power the vacuum pump & compressor for the CNC, the lighting, and a couple circuits for tools. Our tool storage shelves & 12 foot bench is enclosed next to the soundproof pump room, creating a 10' x 30' third floor mezzanine which is our painting area for all but the largest projects which are done in the larger adjacent third floor area over the original unit.

Checkers

While it would be nice to say to build a huge shop to accommodate anything, you gotta keep the cart in front of the horse.

What type of work do you plan on doing; where will your clients come from and how will you attract them; what can the business support; etc.

Your best answer would be to put a business plan together and figure it out on your own. When you run into a specific problem, ask a more specific question and you'll get better answers.

Checkers

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Good one Checkers. Talk about putting the cart before the horse........

I think your first question would be....can you build an industrial type dwelling with proper licensing, insurance and zoning on your residential property ?? :rolleyes:

SignManiac

I'm at 150' x 40' (6,000) s.f. and an addition 2k s.f. overhead storage area with two 14'w roll up. The max ceiling height is 16' with 40'x40' under AC inside.

Attachments

• New Shop Building.jpg
    New Shop Building.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:

ChiknNutz

Good one Checkers. Talk about putting the cart before the horse........

I think your first question would be....can you build an industrial type dwelling with proper licensing, insurance and zoning on your residential property ?? :rolleyes:

Yeah, you better make DAMN sure of that one before anything...trust me, living the pain of that crap still.

imagep

18 Feet dropping to 16 feet. In our screen printing and offset printing production area it goes all the way up, but above the office area, we have 8 feet ceilings and a storage loft above it. That gave us an extra 1200 sf basically for free. And in the future, we could build in more upstairs space if we needed to. It is almost always going to be cheaper to build up than to build wider or longer.

signpro

Manager
well, we rent this space... but...

4,000 sw ft. total (50x80)
18ft ceilings in the entire building
13'6" overhead door
8ft ceilings in small corner office that we built (13x18 office)
8ft ceilings in small crapper (6x10 crapper room)

OldPaint

16 ft rear wall, to 14ft front, witha 10x12 ft door opening.
on on side of the door, i have a loft 8 ft below & 6- 8 ft high top.
keeps floor from becoming a STORAGE SPACE.