• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How can I make UV inks cure faster?

Cory Marcin

This job is requiring me to trim down the customers already printed pieces.
The ink is chipping and lifting at the trimmed edge.
These were printed at their facility - so I don't know what kind of machine or inks they are using.
We are going to let them sit over the weekend in hopes that the additional time will reduce the chipping of the ink.
These were printed on Wednesday. In my experience that should have given plenty of time to properly cure.
Does anyone have any tips or tricks for promoting UV curing after printing?
My plan was to lay them out so they can breath a bit and hopefully catch some rays from the windows in our building.
Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_20181102_091557809.jpg
    IMG_20181102_091557809.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 379

Joe House

I don't think you have a curing issue you have a substrate/ink compatibility issue. The ink isn't adhering to the substrate. They will need to use an adhesion promoter or different ink or different substrate. Do some testing next week on the piece that's already chipped, but I don't think you'll see any improvements.

Good Luck

Cory Marcin

I agree.
I tested the dyne levels of the substrate and it came in around 36.
My experience is that we need our substrates to be at least 50.
We are printing on an EFI-H1625 with manufacturers ink and 50 seems to be the lowest we can go while still getting good adhesion.

Bly

It can depend on the ink type too.
Softer inks are less likely to chip when cut.

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like you have an ink-to-substrate adhesion issue.

How are you cutting?

What type of machine?

What material is being used and what brand?

Is it digital grade?

What printer?

What ink set?

From your post it looks like you are just providing a cutting service for your client. I have someone cut some of my UV printed stuff as well but it is on me to make sure I’m using the proper material for my printer and ink set. Tell them to do more research and use the proper material or the cheapest.

Just because you can does not mean you should

MelloImagingTechnologies

Many years in the Production Business
I have had many customers experience this problem- primarily with clear acrylics. Many started spraying with Bulldog adhesion promoter and eliminated the problem. Supply 55 also has some good products for this.

TimToad

I can't see how placing something out in the sun would "cure" the ink anymore than the intense bath of UV light they receive as they are being printed.

On the rare occasion when we preprint something with a bleed and then cut them, we apply a strip of transfer tape to the edge and do one very light pass with a new blade on whatever cutting tool we're using. Its not a perfect solution for mass produced items, but I'd confirm the process being used by the printer.

Why is this portion of the process falling in your lap?

They printed them, why aren't they cutting them?

Emd2kick

Everyone is correct that this is an adhesion problem. UV ink comes off the press cured, it’s not eco solve, it will not cure or dry further. Even if you we do just run lamps on your press over it again it will do absolutely nothing.

Cory Marcin

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
The material is patented, extruded, and printed by the customer. I'm not sure why they can't cut it in house. I'm just doing my part to finish the piece.
I'm trying to find out if they use any adhesion promoters.

DerbyCitySignGuy

The material is patented, extruded, and printed by the customer. I'm not sure why they can't cut it in house. I'm just doing my part to finish the piece.

This sounds like the problem is squarely on their end, but has unfortunately fallen into your lap. Good luck!

TimToad

Can you please share what cutting tool you are using?

How thick is the substrate?

Are you cutting on the printed side or the back side?

Andy D

We had this exact problem, the ink would stick fine until you cut the substrate. If you put a piece of duct tape on the ink and pulled it
up, the ink wouldn't come up... if you cut a X in the ink and use duct tape, the ink will come up.
We resolved this by switching to a newer generation ink, that was more flexible.
The only work around, is on the printers end, I was able to print the image at 25% density, and print again at 75%... that thin layer
of ink would cure and adhere much better.