• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How can I stop banners from frailing along the edges?

0igo

I use a lot of Arlon banner material but it seems to frail up along side the corners a lot and the only way to stop that is by hemming the top and edges. But I've also seen banners that are not hemmed and don't frail up? Is that because of the banner material or because they used a "hot knife" to cut it? Any suggestions on materials you guys recommend to not get them to frail is appreciated.

player

I use a lot of Arlon banner material but it seems to frail up along side the corners a lot and the only way to stop that is by hemming the top and edges. But I've also seen banners that are not hemmed and don't frail up? Is that because of the banner material or because they used a "hot knife" to cut it? Any suggestions on materials you guys recommend to not get them to frail is appreciated.

What is "frailing"? This word is not in the dictionary.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
In most cases, stop buying Chinese junk..... and I don't mean the boat. Chinese brands more than just falling apart at the edges and making ugly appearances create lotsa threads which block and mess with heads on most printers.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Most of the time, those banners that you see unhemmed are typically block out and scrimless so they are very sense and have no scrim fibers to fray.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member

I have banner that will not do that, you pay a pretty penny for that though, it's about $212 for 54"x98' and it's very similar to the Bantex product. Super durable too.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
In most cases, stop buying Chinese junk..... and I don't mean the boat. Chinese brands more than just falling apart at the edges and making ugly appearances create lotsa threads which block and mess with heads on most printers.

While this is true, Arlon is a name brand and is not Chinese.

At the shop I used to work at we hemmed all sides of outdoor banners unless they were meant for temporary applications. Or you could use non-scrim alternative like the smooth banner they use for trade show displays.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I know. I kinda hesitated to say it. He also said he uses a lotta Arlon, but didn't specify it was being used in these cases, so I just took my chances............. )))

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Dude all banner material is Chinese.
And who DOESN'T hem their banners?

player

Bit pedantic aren't we?
I'm sure most of us realised it should have been "fraying".
I did not realize what it was. I asked a very simple question with no sarcasm, nothing else than the simple question, "What is "frailing"? This word is not in the dictionary." I actually spent time using Google and different online dictionaries to try to find out the meaning. Sorry if I am not up on my gibberish translation skills.

So I say with all confidence, I was not being pedantic. I was simply trying to help, and get clarification on what the problem was.

pedantic
(comparative more pedantic, superlative most pedantic)

Have a nice day.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Almost all banner comes from China, Bantex is a US material, Dickson Banner is from France, the Mailer banner is also German.