• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do clean this Nozzle?, gaps in Test Print, and Splatter on black print.

James Anderson

Hello everyone.....

I have a Nozzle issue and been too busy with other sign work unfortunatley to fix it, however this needs fixing.

There's 2 issues, maybe more..

1. Nozzle has gaps in test print.
2. Black in splatter on TEXT

As you can see in the photo there's 2 huge gaps on the magenta and black has small gaps.

I have used every clean to see if it works yet nothing.

Normal Clean Done
Medium Clean Done
Powerful Clean Done.

Head clean also done

Maybe i'm not cleaning properly, as mostly never had an issue printing.

Any help will be appreciated...

Thank you...

Attachments

• IMG_20210329_172241.jpg
    IMG_20210329_172241.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 442
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-03-29 at 9.59.46 PM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-03-29 at 9.59.46 PM (1).jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 176
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-03-29 at 9.59.46 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-03-29 at 9.59.46 PM.jpeg
    77.5 KB · Views: 179

Lauren-R

Stuff and Stuff
Ink brand hasn't changed or anything odd like that? Maybe try running a bunch of ink thru, like a large block of black, to see if it pushes out the dirt. Also, I have cleaned heads by removing from printer, flooding with solution and wiping front to back with a cloth, this does not mean back and forth, just front to back. Or just get a new one?

Sandy Gallant

Could your sensor strip need cleaning? Hard to tell from the pictures but the lines look like they are all also over the place and I know a dirty sensor strip can do some crazy things. Either way that is a pretty extreme print job, hope you get to the bottom of it! I have disconnected the ink lines on my old XC, stuck a syringe in them and forced cleaning fluid through the heads that way. Roland probably would recommend it, but it worked in a pinch for me!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
You could try throwing new cap tops in and flushing the pump line to make sure the maintenance station is working at full capacity. Unfortunately in my opinion the Cyan/Black head looks like it's probably just old and worn out and the yellow/magenta head looks like it had a head strike. Probably going to need new heads but it's worth a shot to soak and flush as mentioned above.

James Anderson

Thanks mate for the reply...

I have always used genuine inks eco sol max.

I will try the black printing and get back to you..

Appreciated

Thank you

James Anderson

Thanks Sandy

Yeah I might have to go down that route, but am scared to touch the printer lol...

I will try the cleaning again, have bought some new cleaning fluid, so lets see.

Keep you guys posted..

Thank you

balstestrat

Problem Solver
But what's a Head Strike??
It's when your bottom plate of the printhead (nozzles) touch something, the substrate, edge holders etc. That is unwanted and can result in a scratch on the printhead which will result to nozzles deflecting like in your picture.

I would personally try with new caps AND wiper+scraper. I've seen wipers that are in really bad shape and people never change them unless they have issues. If your wiper is trash then it will not wipe the printhead properly.
But honestly it's very likely that you need new heads.

Last edited:

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Yeah pretty clearly a decent head strike or two on the magenta/yellow and god knows what’s wrong with the black.

just change all your future designs to only using cyan and you’re all good.

E Coloney

It sure looks like the black head needs replacement. If nozzles are plugged, you can't get cleaning fluid through them to clean them. Solvent ink is a solvent to itself and that's why it's important to do a print test FREQUENTLY if the machine isn't in use often. I'll define frequently as every other day, maybe one more day (once in a while).

IMO, a bunch of missing nozzles as shown by your magenta indicates a cap top with poor seal. If it were multiple plugged nozzles, it would look more like the black head. Don't scrimp on cheap cap tops - go with genuine Roland tops and avoid the more frequent changes and interruptions of the cheaper ones. I'm inclined to believe you'll save money/aggravation in the long run.

Don't be afraid to change a printhead yourself. It's a challenge but the manual guides you well. Just be SURE TO POWER DOWN before you start disconnecting ribbon cables. The warning in the manual about destruction of a printed circuit board comes AFTER the instruction to disconnect the cable. That warning should come BEFORE the instruction. (This is experience speaking: been there, done that, have the new PC board to show for it.)
EDIT: There is a lot of tedious adjustment after changing the head but you can do it and the second time will be far easier than the first (having gained that experience.)