• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do I cut without print&cut?

MHester

I have flexi print and cut, and have been using it wonderfully with my printer. Printer prints registration marks on my white digital vinyl and Flexi finds them and cuts. Good stuff. So, what if I want to cut some letters out of black vinyl that someone gave me? How can I get flexi to cut the letters out without having to go through the whole print/reg mark process? Do I have the wrong software for that? Silly question, I know many of you are probably face-palming your forehead, but this is new to me, sorry, I'm asking for help. Thanks.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Right next to the RIP and Print button there should be another button that looks like a blade. That should just cut your design. Some versions of Flexi don't have that feature so it might just not be there for you but I would assume it's in the print and cut version.

Johnny Best

Did someone give you letters or black vinyl and what software do you have besides Flexi. Also is your printer the cutter or do you have a separate vinyl cutter.

MHester

Right next to the RIP and Print button there should be another button that looks like a blade. That should just cut your design. Some versions of Flexi don't have that feature so it might just not be there for you but I would assume it's in the print and cut version.
That button (cut contour) is greyed out.

MHester

Did someone give you letters or black vinyl and what software do you have besides Flexi. Also is your printer the cutter or do you have a separate vinyl cutter.
Someone gave me a 10' roll of black vinyl with notched edges. Besides Flexi, I have all the Adobe products. My cutter is a Graphtec standalone. My printer is an HP310

Bigdawg

Just Me
Someone gave me a 10' roll of black vinyl with notched edges. Besides Flexi, I have all the Adobe products. My cutter is a Graphtec standalone. My printer is an HP310

You can download a free copy of Cutting Master 2 or 3 (depending on what version of Illustrator you are running) and cut directly from Illy with the graphtec.

AKwrapguy

Are the letters selected when you try to cut them? You also might need to select them and add a cut line an than select cut rather than print.

d fleming

That just seems ridiculous. I'm a signlab user, have print and cut version. If I want to just cut, hit the scissor tool. If I need to cut and print, hit that icon. Viola.

MHester

Are the letters selected when you try to cut them? You also might need to select them and add a cut line an than select cut rather than print.
Yes, letters are selected and setup to cut. I just don't have the "cut only" option available. It wants to print/cut only. Sounds crazy that my flexi wouldn't have that capability.

gabagoo

I have the print and cut version too. It is made to print and cut only. It was a lot cheaper than buying the full Flexi program at the time. I have Signlab for cutting only.

IsItFasst

This is really odd you can't just use the cut/plot button because it is grayed out. It would be the icon between the printer and the RIP/Cut icon. Just making sure you aren't looking at the "cut contour" to the right of the RIP icon. But see if this will work if so:
  • Draw the letters as normal.
  • Add a contour cut line.
  • When you go to print/cut the production manager will open.
  • Go to the furthest tab on the right that has the "contour"/blade icon. This is where you set up to print registration marks.
  • Change "Send:" to "Contour Job Only".
  • Then send it. It should skip printing and simply do the cuts on the material.

FrankW

Are the letters Bitmap or Vector? The Plot-Option is available only if cuttable vectors available or selected.