• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help How do I make my own profiles?

Annette Asberg

Hi
Does anyone know how to make your own profile for an HP latex 365?
I don't mean how you actually make them on the printer but how you decide how many passes, temperature, etc you will need?
We have so much problem with the downloaded ones so now I am fed up and will make my own profiles.

ProPDF

Hi
I don't mean how you actually make them on the printer but how you decide how many passes, temperature, etc you will need?
We have so much problem with the downloaded ones so now I am fed up and will make my own profiles.

Profiles are canned and you can't make your own full custom profiles. The original HP's are a different story.

Joe House

Profiles are canned and you can't make your own full custom profiles. The original HP's are a different story.

Actually, the HP L365 has an onboard spectrophotometer and the smarts to create full blown ICC profiles right on the printer itself. It is pretty painless to create them and other than having someone onsite to show you the YouTube University is a great way to learn. It will take a couple of yards of material to create one once you get the hang of it - maybe more as you're learning.

Good luck.

Joe

ProPDF

Actually, the HP L365 has an onboard spectrophotometer and the smarts to create full blown ICC profiles right on the printer itself. It is pretty painless to create them and other than having someone onsite to show you the YouTube University is a great way to learn. It will take a couple of yards of material to create one once you get the hang of it - maybe more as you're learning.

Good luck.

Joe

From what I was taught the original HP's Latex machines you could control and edit all aspects of the color profile like you could a solvent machine. I was taught yes you can make a profile with a onboard HP spectrophotometer and edit some things but it has limitations with certain aspects of that onboard created profile being canned and not able to be cracked open and edited? Correct me if I am wrong or if something has changed.

Joe House

yes you can make a profile with a onboard HP spectrophotometer and edit some things but it has limitations

It does create a full ICC profile, but it is definitely entry level quality. You don't have too many options that you can customize it with, like black generation, etc. My current demo is a 335, so I don't have one to play with right now or I'd run through a profile just to refresh my memory.
If you know what you're doing, you can get better results out of most RIP profile creators or dedicate profile software, but if you don't know what you're doing, or just getting into building profiles, you're likely to do a decent job with the onboard system.

dypinc

From what I was taught the original HP's Latex machines you could control and edit all aspects of the color profile like you could a solvent machine. I was taught yes you can make a profile with a onboard HP spectrophotometer and edit some things but it has limitations with certain aspects of that onboard created profile being canned and not able to be cracked open and edited? Correct me if I am wrong or if something has changed.

You are correct about the on-board profile. You have no GCR control. And being a contone printer you have no control of individual ink limits except for the media preset density, or light ink splits.

But on the the other hand if you use RIP based profiling or other third party profile generation software then you can have full control except for the light ink splits. Having said that, if you know how to use black start and curves you can cause the printer to use more light inks resulting in a less grainy look. The downside of doing that is you have to be more vigilant in calibrating the printer to maintain neutral grays. The other downside to using more light ink is that with only one lc/lm printhead in some situations you could experience ink starvation.

Last edited:

dypinc

Hi

What RIP are you using?

Does it have the ability to make profiles, and can it use the onboard spectrophotometer? Or, do you have spectrophotometer?

Deciding your media preset setting such as how many passes, temperature, ink density, etc, you will need, is somewhat of a trial and error. There are test prints on the printer that will help you determined this. And, you will probably want to make a few different ones for each media based of what your job needs are. For example I sometime use the same media for yards signs as I do for POP signage. Most Yard Signs I use CMYK and can be printed with fewer pass, while the POP stuff I would use CMYKcm and print with more passes and use more ink density.

ProPDF

It does create a full ICC profile, but it is definitely entry level quality. You don't have too many options that you can customize it with, like black generation, etc. My current demo is a 335, so I don't have one to play with right now or I'd run through a profile just to refresh my memory.
If you know what you're doing, you can get better results out of most RIP profile creators or dedicate profile software, but if you don't know what you're doing, or just getting into building profiles, you're likely to do a decent job with the onboard system.

This goes along the lines of what my understanding was and one of the many reasons latex isn't going to cut it for me until they make some changes.

AF

This goes along the lines of what my understanding was and one of the many reasons latex isn't going to cut it for me until they make some changes.

Even with the older latex and full control, you are limited by the 12 picoliter droplet size and coalescing. The technology has its application and outside of that there are better options. It is good when used appropriately.