• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do they do this ?

xxtoni

What do you think, how did they guys make the letters in the attachement ?

We have a very similar product but it doesn't shine nearly as well, and we're using the best and strongest LEDs we could get our hands on, and it also isn't as even as in the example below ?

Any theories on how it's made ?

Attachments

• Google LED.jpg
    Google LED.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 89

xxtoni

What we did was mill a channel into the acrylic and set LED strip to shine to the edges but it doesn't shine nearly as evenly or as brightly so pretty sure this isn't the solution.

WI

It wouldn't shock me if that somehow involved fiber optics, but honestly it could literally be anything considering who owns the sign. With the kind of cash Google has on hand there's no telling what they dropped on that thing.

xxtoni

It wouldn't shock me if that somehow involved fiber optics, but honestly it could literally be anything considering who owns the sign. With the kind of cash Google has on hand there's no telling what they dropped on that thing.

I'm trying to think of ways to recreate this thing because as mention we have a very, very similar product but the glow intensity and distribution of the light isn't quite there yet.

I doubt that it's anything that convoluted and complicated, after all it's not Google making the sign, it s company like your's or mine, so it's probably more down to earth.

phototec

Push through letters, but you need the diffuser film on the back to even out the light source.

Attachments

• Push through letters.jpg
    Push through letters.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 82

MikePro

Definitely push-thru plexiglass letters. Depending on the scale, the strokes of those letters are too thin to put lighting inside the letter itself.

Diffuser film on the backside, or at least backed with white lexan.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
as suggested, push thru...

I think what's making it glow more is the fact that the letter faces are opaque instead of transparent. If the faces were transparent the glow would not look at bright.

xxtoni

Thanks you guys.

I didn't know about these 'till now. Starting work on a prototype tomorrow. These look great!

Any final tips ?

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Diffuser is a pretty basic feature for this type of sign. What are the '' these'' that you didn't know about? Kind of hard to offer additional tips without knowing the extent of your knowledge.

xxtoni

Diffuser is a pretty basic feature for this type of sign. What are the '' these'' that you didn't know about? Kind of hard to offer additional tips without knowing the extent of your knowledge.

I meant I didn't know about push through letters.

To answer your earlier question in our case the letter itself acted as the diffuser, it was 10mm transparent acrylic in which we would mill a channel and put leds into it. Then we would put a light coating, like a frosting, on the edges to diffuse it further.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I would forego the channel and just apply diffuser to the letter backs. Leave the letter returns clear. Position your LED's directly behind the diffuser. Look for hot spots and adjust the distance of the LED's until there are no hot spots. Also, the closer the LED's are together, the more it will help eliminate hot spots.

xxtoni

I would forego the channel and just apply diffuser to the letter backs. Leave the letter returns clear. Position your LED's directly behind the diffuser. Look for hot spots and adjust the distance of the LED's until there are no hot spots. Also, the closer the LED's are together, the more it will help eliminate hot spots.

Thanks for your help. Appreciated.