• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do you age ....

signgirl2

My question is how would you make an immage look aged? Like say you had a design for a shirt and you wanted it to look antiqued? how do you do that?

TheSnowman

I think more often than not, it's a plug in. I would also be interested and knowing all the different ways to do it.

jay*doc

machine wash from mister retro is awesome. You can also DIY with photoshop and a grunge overlay, by messing with the layer styles.

bobmaggio

there are a lot of plugins for corel and photoshop that create distressed and grunge type effects just search the web.

signgirl2

I use vinyl- so mister retro will not work for me--- the plug ins on my AI or AP are difficult for me to figure out- I use Ultra flex for my plotter- any advice?

Pat Whatley

There are a myriad of grunge texture vector files out there that you can use to reverse out of your artwork. Joe Diaz had a video tutorial of it showing how he aged a file to look branded but I can't find the video anymore. Do a google search for "Free Vector Grunge Textures" and you should come up with plenty of the vector files.

If you want the easy, old school method print your artwork in black and white, run it through the photocopier to copy it onto vellum. Wad up the vellum which wrinkles the paper and pops off the toner in the wrinkles. Add some scratches and spots by scraping the toner off with an x-acto knife. Scan the artwork, vectorize (autotrace) and cut. You'd be surprised how quick and realistic you can get good results.

kage

Tom Knight at Advanced Artist has great tuts,plugins and everything you would probably need. I bought his power training vids and were well worth it.
Its pretty easy to do.

kage

I use vinyl- so mister retro will not work for me--- the plug ins on my AI or AP are difficult for me to figure out- I use Ultra flex for my plotter- any advice?

The distressed effect with garment vinyl would take alot of weeding and may not be good for commercial use considering time and profit, Way better to screenprint it.:Canada:

HeavyHitter

Depending on what your end result needs to be Adobe Lightroom is a very good tool to have. I use it on a regular basis. You can find plenty of presets for the program to give the result you want. This is for images only... not cut vinyl

Dan