• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do you conduct business?

threeputt

Both of you standing, with a counter between you? Or sitting down across from each other over a desk?

We've always been "counter" types. But on a previous thread I noticed someone mentioned the client being seated, so it got me to wondering. What are the pros and cons of each?

Marlene

we have a conference room with samples & photos on the wall plus an album. we site with people and talk about the job. making them stand doesn't seem like a great idea unless you are a quick cut and pick up you vinyl letters kind of place, then it would be OK.

Letterbox Mike

Depends on what you're selling and who's buying it. A pair of magnets, some yard signs, a banner would be done over the counter here. 100 banners, a monument sign, vehicle wrap, or most things over 3-5k would be done at a sit-down meeting. People want to feel important, the higher the ticket item, the more they want to feel that way.

Billct2

Depends...I meet a lot of customers on site, we have a counter in our showroom,. I have an extra chair next to my workstation.

threeputt

Insignia, that makes pretty good sense.

Marlene, wish we had a conference room.

Bill, I'm reluctant to take people back to our workstations, but sometimes that's the only way. We do have a computer at the counter that's networked so we can retrieve previous jobs to discuss things. And try ideas, etc.

gabagoo

Counter, although 95% of all our business is conducted over the internet it seems these days. Even the fax machine seems so quite.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Whatever you have available.

In our shop, for the most part... it's over the counter for certain smaller things. Some people are more comfortable with sitting down at a table and discussing things, so we go to that room instead. Some people say there is an artform taking place of who is in control when standing talking vs.sitting down. I know some people will give chairs to customer that are lower to the ground in order to have that feel of power when they're sitting higher. There are all kinds of situations. I personally like standing whether I'm behind a counter, face to face or in front of a group of people. Sitting seems to be too comfortable for a business atmosphere when initially dealing with a customer. Once they become familiar or a repeat customer, then we'll usually sit at the bar across the street.....:Oops:

Derf

I have an open shop and my desk faces a wall with a window. costumers sit next to me or stand next to me at our table.

I don't have a lot of traffic so if a customer is here their reviewing a several thousand dollar contract or drooping off a vehicle. My door to the shop is locked so I don't just let and jack hat in here.

dbmophead

Like everyone else says, it depends on the job. my whole shop is open with a counter in the back that i sit behind. so our customers can walk around the shop and see us working on different vehicles. if someone wants to know a price or just ask a question they mainly stand on the other side of the counter. but if i start talking to them and they are actually going to spend money then i offer them a seat behind my counter, but a good alternative to having them come behind the counter to see me design stuff for them is to put an extra monitor on the counter that faces into the shop and shows exactly what i am doing on the main computer behind the desk. we actually have a couch and a tv in the front of the shop for customers that cant get a ride home and want to wait. we try to make them feel comfortable but at the same time we dont want them too comfortable where they want to stay or just come and hang out and "window shop"....lol

Pro Image

I have a large computer desk that the customer sit at when we take their orders........If they want to stand they stand if not they sit............My shop is also open.............

mark in tx

I have a desk extension in the front room that I invite them to sit down at, but some prefer to stand.
I think it just comes down to how much room you have to spare or dedicate that you can adapt.
Also depends on if you think of your space as "Retail" or not.

Signsforwhile

We have a counter with a space to the left of it that can lead to our design area. Customers were going right around the counter and walking up to us at our desks, so we're put two racks in that space that hold sample books and sample letters. They almost completely block the space. BUT FOR SOME REASON, customers walk in and the will actually squeeze between or MOVE the rack to gain access to our design area. We have all be trained to catapult out of our seats as soon as we hear the door chime and run to the back of the counter as a guide for the customer to STAY ON THEIR SIDE of the counter.

/rant

AKWD

For me, depends on the customer. I've been in retail and such long enough to get an idea of what people want and don't want; I've done enough 'small business' work as well. Really depends on the customer. Some love to be babied; Others couldn't be bothered going past your desk; Yet others may want you to sit there and work with you (I've had some good graphic designers offer great help). Other times it's over coffee/tea at a neutral location, and others it's even at their location to get a feel for their business, find elements, etc. As mentioned above, depends on what is being thrown around, $-wise.

Jillbeans

Almost always it's a counter. I don't want to get up close and personal with some of my clients whatsoever.
I have a hammer in a drawer just in case.
Other times it might be in the pantyhose section of WalMart, or in a grocery store parking lot when they see my truck, or when someone interrupts me while painting or in the middle of a tricky sticker job.
Love....Jill

Pat Whatley

Other times it might be in the pantyhose section of WalMart

Ahhh...Imagine the possibilities!

We do most of our stuff over the phone. Walk in work is all done at the counter. When customers stop by to see the layouts that never showed up in their email (usually because I haven't gotten around to sending them) they get to wade through the half done jobs and rolls of cut vinyl to the pit we call our design stations. We really don't run a very professional looking shop now that I think about it...but it doesn't seem to be hurting.

The future expansion plan is to set up a much wider, nicer counter area and turn my office (that I never use) into a small conference/meeting room. We're also putting in a really nice waiting area.

THATgirl

90% of my business is email orders. If it's a new customer I always go out to their place of business to measure and talk. If it's a design approval I meet them at a coffee shop or their business to get the go ahead and deposit.

When I did have my shops, I had a counter and tall stools on both sides and fresh coffee. I have seen shops with no chairs and it looked very uninviting. I don't like people standing over my shoulder watching so I made sure that never happened.

GregT

I have an open shop with a counter about 1/4 of the way back. Mostly employees only behind counter. We have a monitor on the counter so that the customer can see whats going on if they choose.