Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you deal with the badges on the front and rear of a vehicle

Discussion in 'Vehicle Wraps' started by simpson246, Sep 20, 2012.

1. simpson246

simpson246 Member

Aug 28, 2012
    Hi all, I'm wondering how you deal with the badges on the front and rear of a car, in particular, the ones that have all the letters separately.

Obviously you will have to remove them below wrapping but after wrapping how do you deal with them?

How do you re-attach? Small cuts of double sided tape?

How do you deal with placing them exactly back in the right position. Simply measuring all positions before removal?

It'll be interesting to see how you all deal with this.

Thanks,

Tags:
  2. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    I dont wrap but sometimes badges get in the way of lettering. I remove them IF they are the ones that are just double sided taped on and I dont worry about putting them back on HOWEVER if you wanna put them back on replace the tape on the back of them and go for it

Emblems are distracting and should be removed anyway. We remove them by lifting up one edge with flathead and them pulling it off and then coming back with razor scraper and removing all double stick debris

3. BobM

BobM Very Active Member

May 31, 2008
    Cape Cod
    Remove them with a little fishing line drawn back and forth behind them.

4. SightLine

SightLine Very Active Member

Remove them, hand them to the customer. Once in their hand it becomes their problem.

5. TyrantDesigner

TyrantDesigner Art! Hot and fresh.

Mar 9, 2011
    Amarillo, TX
    If I encounter badges when working on a vehicle, I ask If I can remove them, if they say that is cool ... off they go ... I tell them how to stick them back on and the world is a happy place.

6. CES020

CES020 Very Active Member

Oct 16, 2008
    VA
    He's asking how to reattach them to the wrap, not how to remove them.

7. jfiscus

jfiscus Adobe Shinobi

Apr 2, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    I always ask them if the vehicle manufacturer is paying them to advertise their vehicles for them. When they respond no, it's usually an easy sell on removing them. The emblems with pins that go into holes always go back on, but regular VHB applied emblems stay off once removed. We use the thin plastic scrapers to pop one end off and then lift gently until the decal is free, the old tape can be removed by grabbing a corner and pulling away from the rest of the tape along the vehicle. (no scraping necessary in most cases)

3M VHB (double-sided tape) is what the manufacturers use and can be purchased at any auto parts store or places like ACE, it's always good to have rolls on hand for instances like this.

8. aaronJREgraphics

aaronJREgraphics Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Take em off with a heat gun and throw em in the glove box let the client know they are there and let them decide if and how they want to re apply them.

9. simpson246

simpson246 Member

Aug 28, 2012
    Thanks all.

So most of you agree to ask the customer and in most cases leave off the lettering.

Cheers

10. Signsforwhile

Signsforwhile Very Active Member

Feb 17, 2006
    New York
    Also upcharge for removing them! A lot of times these can be time consuming. We get $40 per badge to remove.

11. CheapVehicleWrap

CheapVehicleWrap Very Active Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Any and all parts we break off the vehicle are returned in a plastic bag unless we loose them prior to delvery.

12. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    if you reattached you need to use 3M double sided tape available at automotive suppliers, none of the white squishy stuff

13. threeputt

threeputt Very Active Member

Mar 10, 2006
    washington state
    We ask first. Then remove.

We've never re-applied manufacturer's badging over top of a wrap.

We put them in clear baggies with zip tops and place them on the passenger seat, where the client will see them.

14. simpson246

simpson246 Member

Aug 28, 2012
    thanks all