• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do you do it?

Barber

I am referring to those bathroom signs that are glued to the wall. What is the best way to remove them without damaging the wall ? Thanks in advance.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Fishing line or a guitar string between to wooden dowels. Use a sawing action. The metal guitar strings will sometime discolor the wall and the fishing line is more likely to break. You can find a clay cutting tool at Dick Blick or Hobby Lobby.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Most likely they are foam taped to the wall with some silicone for good measure. Chance are the wall is going to get damaged. To what degree will be determined by your experience and what was used to install it. Just make sure the client knows that they may need to mud and repaint the area.

If there is tape left on the wall, use a little heat and roll it off. Too much or too little heat and the paint is guaranteed to come with it.

Billct2

If its on drywall and it looks like I'm going to wreck the wall I score a line around the sign to limit the damage to the area behind the sign.
That way a new sign made slightly larger will cover the damage.

2B

in addition to the methods listed above we like to use a very thin diamond wire saw between wooden dowel handle grips

Marlene

before you remove, have a line item in your quote that clearly states that you are not responsible for any damage to the wall from the removal and that patching and painting is up to them, not you.