• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do you price contour cutting?

Optisign

Hi.

I`m new to this forum, and I`m norwegian, so excuse my english if it`s not flawless.

I wonder how you guys usually calculate the extra cost of contour cutting?

Example:
When I price an order, I calculate the price from the total usage of material that`s needed for production. Ink comsuption and time spent in the machine are included in those prices. What I`m askisk is, how do you guys calculate the extra cost for contour cutting? Do you just add a given procentage to your normal rates? Do you consider actual extra time it takes to do the cutting?

I hope I made my selfe clear. Thanks!:smile:

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
I account for the added cut time (which will vary depending on the intricacy of the cuts) and also tack in for my time to weed out the design (also varies for the same reason). Both are figured off the shop hourly rate.

2B

I account for the added cut time (which will vary depending on the intricacy of the cuts) and also tack in for my time to weed out the design (also varies for the same reason). Both are figured off the shop hourly rate.

this

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Just out of curiosity....if you have 2-3 plotters all going at once, would they all be billed out at $xx / hr per plotter or for all them?
Of course.

It's like having two or three well seasoned painters. They all get paid and then charged out.

One of the sweetest sounds is when both Gerber plotters are cutting, the roll to roll is printing, the flatbed is printing, the screen table is pulling and I have guys lettering a few trucks or out on some installs. You are then making literally 100's and 100's of dollars an hour. Multiply that time a few days a week..... how do you think shops make millions a year ?? Multi-tasking and properly delegating the workload and making sure not many mistakes are made. The only better sound than all of that going is when you hear the guys whistling.... then you know they are happy, also.

CheapVehicleWrap

Of course.

It's like having two or three well seasoned painters. They all get paid and then charged out.

One of the sweetest sounds is when both Gerber plotters are cutting, the roll to roll is printing, the flatbed is printing, the screen table is pulling and I have guys lettering a few trucks or out on some installs. You are then making literally 100's and 100's of dollars an hour. Multiply that time a few days a week..... how do you think shops make millions a year ?? Multi-tasking and properly delegating the workload and making sure not many mistakes are made. The only better sound than all of that going is when you hear the guys whistling.... then you know they are happy, also.

Gino, are you sure you're not running all this work so you can't hear the wife naggin? :)

tsgstl

you have to charge more.
the things you need to consider:

vinyl with ink
size of material needed to complete (contour cutting usually requires 25% at least unused for registration purposes)
redu's for tons of different reasons 1 out of every 10 seems to get messed up