• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How fast can VP-540 and XC-540 actually print?

twiggy22

I'm about to buy a Roland VP-540 by the end of the month, but when I went to a print shop that uses the VP-540, I was to say the least, disappointed.

The brochure claims the maximum print speed to be 166sq.ft./hr, but the actual print speed was around 60 sq.ft/hr (a 2x3ft banner took 6.5 minutes to print). The machine took a minute to head clean in the middle of the print (which the operator says happen often).

I'm hoping that the problem is just with the settings, but if this is the most a VP can print, then I would need to buy the XC-540 which I don't know how fast it can print. If some of you own a VP or an XC please give me an estimate print speed. I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

WDP

the xc-540 gets 6 4x8 banners at VERY sellable print quality 360x760. But it can go faster if you don't mind lighter looking prints at 360x360.

H2OK

Actual print speeds are at the mercy of your materials. regardless of how fast the maximum speed is on these (or any other) printers, what will dictate the actuall working speed is the Charactaristics of the material to accept the inkset, dry the ink and the quality of output your looking for. The better the profile, the fast you can run your printer. I have a VP 540 that i have upgraded to the i' series (its a firmaware update) Roland EcoSol Max of course, my ,material is
LBV, The Roland Lightweight banner material and the RIPC LBV Profile, I run at the 540 x360 mode for most of my banner runs and I get 121 Sq FT. If I have a lot of detail, like a raser image photo etc. I still use the standard setting of 540x720 and get 101 sq ft.

twiggy22

Thank you for the replies. Right now, the print speed is my main consideration as I expect a high volume of orders coming in because of the elections (Philippines). I just have additional questions though:

1. 360x360 is a one pass? One machine operator told me that the machine can only print a minimum of 2 pass or 360x720. Is this true?

2. I know it's not advisable to run high pass 24/7, but what problems will I encounter when I start abusing the machine?

THank you very much for the priceless advice.

SOA

Im with Mr white. When your buying one of these things there all faster than rockets by the sales mans records but he's bot the ones presenting print to people up close, i always try to get the best quality, media feed calibration is my favorite thing to play with. At the same time unless to stacked for days and days does it matter if it does 4metres an hour or 5?

If you have the XC540 set to CMYKCMYK it will be faster than CMYKLcLm. All printers are shown in the sales brochures with billboard bi-directional highspeed settings...it looks impressive to the customers - plain and simple. But the real world speeds vary as each customer prints differently, use different materials, profiles, etc... The XC540 is a great printer, very reliable, fast, and has great print quality and (in my opinion) worth the price difference over the VP540i if you have the customer base.

Artildawn

Just a quick note on the self-cleaning. The amount of time between self cleanings can be changed through the printers menu. Iirc the default is every 30 minutes.