• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How I handled a scammer on Craigslist

binki

I put a few things up for sale on Craigslist and one item keeps getting scammers. They start out with 'What is the least you would take'. No matter what I say they agree and want to send a money order that includes shipping and their movers will pick it up. Normally I don't even bother but yesterday I said ok. He asked for the name and address and an hour later he asked if I was still interested because I hadn't answered.

My answer was "I am selling it as part of a fundraiser. Please make the check out to the Police Department Equipment Fund and mail the check to the station. When you pick up ask the desk sergeant for the item"

I haven't heard back.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Yep....I did something similar. I sent them directly to the manufacturer of said item.

It really works.

JB

zspace

Premium Subscriber
Scammers contact us several times a month with the shipping scam - we'll pay you extra so you can pay our courier cash when they show up. About 75% of the time they call themselves Reverend xxxxxxxx.

chromira

What is the item they want to scam ya on? And I've never quite figured out how that scame works, is it a hold on a theoretical cashiers check?
They usually make the check out for more than what is due and then ask you to refund them. By the time you figure out that their check is fake they have cashed yours.