• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How important is it, really?

Breezy85

Customer needs job done ASAP. You call them when it's ready for pick up and they say, "Okay I'll be there in the morning." Nearing the end of the day and they're still not here o_O

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
9 out of 10 of the " customer calls on Friday After 3 :00 and Gotta Have it Today" jobs end up with "sorry, I'll have to pick it up Monday" when we tell them it's ready. Frustrating.

Breezy85

Yesterday I called at 3:30 saying their order was ready. They needed it by today. He said he would try to make it here before we closed at 5 and if not he would come in the morning. Nobody came, no phone calls. We finally got a call around 12:45 saying that the owner was on his way with a Toyota Tundra pickup to be able to load the large dibond sign and pick up all the banners and flags. Here it is after 2:00 and still nobody.

JR's

Charge a rush fee. Then they can come pick it up whenever the heck they want.

If they don't have to put a coin in the cup to watch the monkey dance, they will abuse it every chance they got.

If you don't put a value on it why should they.

Just my two cents.

Breezy85

Have they already paid? If yes, who cares.

They still have a balance. They ordered in plenty time so there was no need for a rush fee, but there was so much on the order and several revisions. We had the order done a day before they wanted it done.

Well, it's after 5 (anyway, here it is)..... did they ever come ??

You must be on the easy coast, I'm on the west coast. They still have not come, it's 2:30.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You must be on the easy coast, I'm on the west coast. They still have not come, it's 2:30.

Yep, we're on the EASY Coast. We come in earlier than you and leave earlier than you, but we can start drinking lo-o-o-ong before you guys. :bushmill:

Here's to ya............. :toasting: Cheers​

Breezy85

Yep, we're on the EASY Coast. We come in earlier than you and leave earlier than you, but we can start drinking lo-o-o-ong before you guys. :bushmill:

Here's to ya............. :toasting: Cheers​

ROFL I'll be EASY coast as of July :p

Update:
He finally just came and picked everything up. Haha

Bly

That used to bother me but now it's just - well that's another job done and dusted.
Rush work is the nature of digital printing.
I just tell them if we have enough time to do it when they ask for it or not.
We don't charge extra for rush jobs unless they aren't a regular client and it really disrupts our schedule.

Breezy85

That used to bother me but now it's just - well that's another job done and dusted.
Rush work is the nature of digital printing.
I just tell them if we have enough time to do it when they ask for it or not.
We don't charge extra for rush jobs unless they aren't a regular client and it really disrupts our schedule.

This was not a rush job, this was a project we've been working on for a couple weeks and their due date for it was today. I just find it funny when they say they're anxious to get it and they'll be here at a certain time, and they are not. Or they call and say they'll come pick it up the next day or Monday. So clearly they weren't as anxious as they lead on to be. I find it hilarious.

AKwrapguy

Customer needs job done ASAP. You call them when it's ready for pick up and they say, "Okay I'll be there in the morning." Nearing the end of the day and they're still not here o_O

Rush fee... 25% of the overall job and payment in full in advance.

clarizeyale

you made it seem like it was a rush.

I've learned everyone needs signs ASAP. Unless it's something with a hard date and there really isn't any going around it, they can stick with our normal turnaround. I've gotten to the point where I tell them how realistically I can make something. I stretch it a bit by a day or so (if we're busy) and if we get it done sooner, then everyone's happy.

A client recently absolutely NEEDED something last Friday. pretty much had us on our toes all day as it was last minute and we were waiting for their clients approval. I gave them my absolute cut off time to meet their needs. They didn't meet it. and they had the audacity to ask if we can deliver the signs on Saturday, when we're closed! I told them "nah, no one will be working and we don't even have the finalized artwork". "but what if we pay you over over time for an hour or 30 minutes?" "we don't have finalized artwork". I don't want to wait around for something we have no idea when it's going to come.

Guess when they sent us artwork? END OF THE DAY ON MONDAY.

This was also a fairly small job albeit important [to them] but small or large, this was not worth stressing over.

Another client needed something doing quickly and we understand their rush. I did it as quickly as I could without over stressin and told them it was ready. No one's picked up the job yet but it's not so much their fault. It's whoever they've told to pick it up who hasn't come by LOL. "someone's not doing their job".

clarizeyale

thinking about it.. I wonder if it's because someone else (higher up) stressed the importance of it but upon it's completion, lowered its priority.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
No such service as rush. Similar to FedEx and others, there are service times. What service do you prefer, Dear Customer? Every line item on the work order may have a different due time and delivery address if necessary. It’s been this way since the mid 80s because software required some formulas and business rules in order to calculate. Win / Win for both parties as it's their choice.

equippaint

Outside of promotional stuff, I never understood the hard deadlines for sim
thinking about it.. I wonder if it's because someone else (higher up) stressed the importance of it but upon it's completion, lowered its priority.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sometimes its people trying to suck up to the boss. We get the late pickup rush stuff all of the time but I really like when I drop in for a sales call 3 weeks later and the sign is still sitting in their office.
I found that to break someone of this, ask them for a picture of the sign when they get it put up. Then when it takes them 2 weeks to get it to you, bust their balls. Im being serious too, most people are used to annoying vendors kissing their a**, be the guy that treats them normal like their friends would but know the line too of course.

clarizeyale

Outside of promotional stuff, I never understood the hard deadlines for sim

Sometimes its people trying to suck up to the boss. We get the late pickup rush stuff all of the time but I really like when I drop in for a sales call 3 weeks later and the sign is still sitting in their office.
I found that to break someone of this, ask them for a picture of the sign when they get it put up. Then when it takes them 2 weeks to get it to you, bust their balls. Im being serious too, most people are used to annoying vendors kissing their a**, be the guy that treats them normal like their friends would but know the line too of course.

I totally joked with the client who ordered and their employee didn't pick up. I feel bad as I know why they need it. they feel bad as we completed it quickly and it's still here.. but it all boils down to the someone not doing their job (which he stated himself). Treated him with a Judge Dredd giphy "I AM THE LAW" and told him to do what he needs to do... LOL:D

Gino

Premium Subscriber
This is pretty much standard once or twice a week in todays business world. According to the customer and the size of the company, the right has no idea what the left is doing. Someone says, get this done by such &such and the ball starts rolling. Most likely no one has the faintest idea when the project is due, so they all make up dates to protect themselves. Then, when it's done on or before schedule, it'll just sit there, as THEY know it's safe.

We had one recently who called us back in February about turnaround and some questions on layout. Had this customer for about 5 or 6 years. Told him over and over, don't wait til the last minute, or we might not get it finished in time. They called on Friday and said they needed by next Friday. Ahh, where's the new artwork ?? You'll have it real soon. Tuesday afternoon, I get it. Luckily, is all Okay. Finished it up and called them Friday morning it was ready. They came in around 4:30....... Tuesday. Talking with the guy, he said the show wasn't until the last week in June. Now, the best part is........ we don't do a thing for this company, until they send a check in advance. I was sitting on a $3,500 check the whole time, so I didn't care when they got there.

Russell J. Bean

This happens almost daily here as well. We charge a rush fee of $50 when they want 25 24x24 plotted high intensity signs in 2 hours. And the one time you say sorry we can’t... you get the I’ll go somewhere else line. When they don’t pickup we charge a “storage and re shelving” fee after 48 hours.