• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How is this acceptable?

Bigdee

Got my first commercial vehicle and I couldn't believe how bad the original wrap was installed. The attached pics actually make it look A LOT better than it really is. The cut vinyl letterying/phone # isn't even straight. All the edges look like they were cut with a butter knife. There were seams everywhere and a partially wrapped roof. This was installed by a large company around here too. Is this standard practice? The client has around 30 other vans with the same graphics installed by the same company. I'm curious to know if they all look like this...

To make things worse, the previous company who installed the vinyl want over $1,000 for the replacement panels. I really really wish I was fully setup so I could print it out myself. :frustrated:

Sorry, I had to blur out parts of the images to protect the identity of my client.

Attachments

• van_edited_01.jpg
    van_edited_01.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 168
  • bumper_edited_01.jpg
    bumper_edited_01.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_0060.jpg
    IMG_0060.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_0061.jpg
    IMG_0061.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 182
  • van_edited_02.jpg
    van_edited_02.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 201
J

john1

lol i love the banding in the yellow part. Gives it a nice touch.

I have never seen a wrap around my way i couldn't pick apart instantly. All are complete hack jobs. You shoulda seen a company about 10 minutes away doing a full panel of wrap vinyl on a car outside the other day. They had it peeled back from left to right so a good 9' or so panel was exposed for dirt and bugs to get into it. I bet that turned out good lol

J

john1

Just found this from a shop up in the next state about 20 minutes away....Wow

Attachments

• 465856_10150838467983890_1856959420_o.jpg
    465856_10150838467983890_1856959420_o.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 205

Bigdee

lol i love the banding in the yellow part. Gives it a nice touch.

I have never seen a wrap around my way i couldn't pick apart instantly. All are complete hack jobs. You shoulda seen a company about 10 minutes away doing a full panel of wrap vinyl on a car outside the other day. They had it peeled back from left to right so a good 9' or so panel was exposed for dirt and bugs to get into it. I bet that turned out good lol

Lol a 9' bug bug catcher!

So? Why is that your problem?

Sorry, I should have clarified. It's being paid by insurance and the appraiser authorized $1,200 for the parts and labour. I'm going to have to get the body shop to request for more $ now or I'll be at a loss.

I really didn't think it would cost more than $800 for materials. Which is why I agreed to do the job for the body shop for $1,200.

royster13

Do you get regular work from that body shop?......If you do and you ask for more money after you gave them a quote, better kiss that work goodbye......They got the job based on their estimate to the adjuster (which included your estimate) and I doubt the adjuster is going to allow more because you "screwed up"....

Bigdee

Do you get regular work from that body shop?......If you do and you ask for more money after you gave them a quote, better kiss that work goodbye......They got the job based on their estimate to the adjuster (which included your estimate) and I doubt the adjuster is going to allow more because you "screwed up"....

I did mess up due to my lack of experience. I shouldn't have assumed the cost without receiving and actual quote of the materials. I used to work at the body shop so I know the owners on a personal level. Hopefully the adjuster will bump it up as it is not unusual for body shops to request additional funding as the job requires more repairs/materials after the initial estimate. Common practice up here, I'm not sure if that's how things are done down south. So there may be a chance I can request more money for the job.

that wrap is old, i'd say the wrap is not that bad...

Really? Am I just being naive and overly critical? Age aside, it honestly looks really bad to me. None of the cuts are even straight. I don't know...I'm still new to this industry. They didn't even try to use full panels. The entire vehicle was overlapped. There's a seam on the A pillars for goodness sakes.

MichaelAlmand

Really? Am I just being naive and overly critical? Age aside, it honestly looks really bad to me. None of the cuts are even straight. I don't know...I'm still new to this industry. They didn't even try to use full panels. The entire vehicle was overlapped. There's a seam on the A pillars for goodness sakes.[/QUOTE]

Actually there is a lot of shops that do that seam. Does it look good no, but a lot do it...... $800 to re-wrap the van you are losing money bud....

S'N'S

I have a deal with the panel shop i do work for, they tell the insurance company "payment on receipt" I don't quote at all, I do the job and give the panel shop the bill and he pays me, then he forwards the bill to the insurance for his payment.

Bigdee

Really? Am I just being naive and overly critical? Age aside, it honestly looks really bad to me. None of the cuts are even straight. I don't know...I'm still new to this industry. They didn't even try to use full panels. The entire vehicle was overlapped. There's a seam on the A pillars for goodness sakes.

Actually there is a lot of shops that do that seam. Does it look good no, but a lot do it...... $800 to re-wrap the van you are losing money bud....[/QUOTE]

Wow, I don't think I'll be one of those guys.

$800 was material cost. Doesn't include my labour $400 for removal and installation of the 4 panels (hood, front bumper, front driver's side door and driver side fender) so $1,200 total.

I have a deal with the panel shop i do work for, they tell the insurance company "payment on receipt" I don't quote at all, I do the job and give the panel shop the bill and he pays me, then he forwards the bill to the insurance for his payment.

Won't work like that around here unfortunately.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Most fleet wraps have overlaps here.... just faster. I do offer upgrades for an extra cost though such as being as seamless as reasonable. Most commercial clients do realize that what is important to them is how their fleet looks to the average person driving around. When you see it driving down the road, no one sees any seams. No average customer is going to go out to the street to get a closer look at the plumbing guys van. It looks good and professional from the front door.

For larger fleets no explanation is generally even needed. Small or newer businesses, you need to educate you customer as they are not familiar. If you don't then they will be thinking the wrap should be just perfect like a paint job. They need to be educated and given the right expectations. Of course there are exceptions as well, so clients want a show car install for whatever reason. We do that level of installs as well quite often and when educated as to why it costs more clients who want that level have no issue paying a premium.

On your deal, yeah, you botched it. Whenever its a body shop doing a repair, bid high. More often than not the insurance will just pay whatever you quote.

Bigdee

Most fleet wraps have overlaps here.... just faster. I do offer upgrades for an extra cost though such as being as seamless as reasonable. Most commercial clients do realize that what is important to them is how their fleet looks to the average person driving around. When you see it driving down the road, no one sees any seams. No average customer is going to go out to the street to get a closer look at the plumbing guys van. It looks good and professional from the front door.

For larger fleets no explanation is generally even needed. Small or newer businesses, you need to educate you customer as they are not familiar. If you don't then they will be thinking the wrap should be just perfect like a paint job. They need to be educated and given the right expectations. Of course there are exceptions as well, so clients want a show car install for whatever reason. We do that level of installs as well quite often and when educated as to why it costs more clients who want that level have no issue paying a premium.

On your deal, yeah, you botched it. Whenever its a body shop doing a repair, bid high. More often than not the insurance will just pay whatever you quote.

Thank you, I appreciate the honesty. That is the type of information I needed to know.

The shop tried to get $1,600 for me but had to settle with the $1,200.

Is that not a reasonable price for the repair? I'm curious to know what other companies would have quoted for this job.

MichaelAlmand

Thank you, I appreciate the honesty. That is the type of information I needed to know.

The shop tried to get $1,600 for me but had to settle with the $1,200.

Is that not a reasonable price for the repair? I'm curious to know what other companies would have quoted for this job.

how are you matching the panels? or lining them up to match other panels, I can't see to well cause you got it pixelated out but I am pretty sure if you don't have the original file that it will be hard for you to recreate. Their maybe color shift as well. I would have priced the whole van and do it right. Post photos when your done