• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

how is this done?

signwizz

this is a members sign (great work too) how is the highlight on the letters done in steak out is that a font done that way or is it made,if so how
thanks shane

Attachments

• steak.jpg
    steak.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 127

2B

its all about "layering" each "design" is on a different layer, so when you are designing you specify which graphic is on which layer. and that is how you get the effect you see

Pat Whatley

For most stuff it works fine like it is. If you want a finished, professional look you'll need to go in and edit a few places.

SAR.Summerlin

I am confused what program are you using for this. I tried in illustrator and maybe I am just not understanding the instructions. Can anyone break it down further?

skyhigh

I am confused what program are you using for this. I tried in illustrator and maybe I am just not understanding the instructions. Can anyone break it down further?

I see you have Flexi. Simple task in that program.
What I'm confused about, is how you can have a program like Flexi, and NOT know you can do these functions?
Close up the Illy.

SAR.Summerlin

I see you have Flexi. Simple task in that program.
What I'm confused about, is how you can have a program like Flexi, and NOT know you can do these functions?
Close up the Illy.

I mostly use Flexi but I am new to that program and not familiar with its layers system. Since i know Illustrator better I was trying to to this in there. I will try in Flexi but still find the instructions a bit confusing. i think this is a great effect and would love to be able to use it so this thread caught my attention.

Pat Whatley

I did that in Flexi.

Set your type. CTRL+SHIFT+O to convert to outlines.

Go to Effects....outline. Set the pop up box to inline and make the inline.

CTRL+SHIFT+O to convert to outlines. Move the original type off to the side.

Select all of the inline and hit CTRL+M to compound.

Copy your inline, place the copy on top of the other inline layer and move it to where the overlap will cover everything you want to get rid of.

Select both inline layers, go to EFFECTS-COMBINE-CUT OUT.

What you're left with is the highlight.

Sounds difficult....takes less than a minute.

WI

If you're using Illustrator, there's a panel called the Pathfinder (look in the Window drop-down) that makes new shapes out of overlapping paths. All the letter shadowing you see in that sign could be done with that panel.

omgsideburns

In illustrator, you can also do it "non-destructively" by creating another fill in the style layers, offsetting the stroke inside, duplicating the fill and adding a transform moving it... change the color of the shadowfill then just save this graphic style and apply it over and over and over and over....

omgsideburns

Here, I attached a screen shot of what I mean.. if you understand the appearance panel, you'll understand how this can be a great time saver and also keep your layers palette clean.

Attachments

• shadows.jpg
    shadows.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 87