• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How is this sign put together?

untitled

So first let me say I don't really do any building signage at all, mainly I do vehicle decals and smaller signage. Usually if someone wants something change on a building sign I would have them remove the lexan and I would apply the graphics and they would have it put back in.

That being said I am rebranding a companies fleet of trucks and they asked if I could do their sign as well. Being a scaffolding company I told them if they took it down it should be no problem. When I take a look at the sign it's actually a banner stretched inside of a frame. I have no problem printing the banner however I am not really sure how the thing goes together. So I have a couple of questions...

Once I remove the screws would there be any additional clamping mechanism inside the frame or would the screws be holding the clamps down? Is there some kind of equipment used to get the banner tight inside the frame or is it done by hand and then clamped?

Is there a special backlit banner material similar to translucent vinyl that should be used here or is it just normal banner material?

Attached a couple of photos of the parts of the sign. Thanks in advance for any help!!
2mo8civ.jpg

30k6fqb.jpg

2hz0ikw.jpg

Dan360

If this is like the ones we've dealt with in the past. Those white side panels are just screwed on for esthetics to hide everything. And there are plastic clips holding the face in place. The actual frame itself is all welded together.

It's not plain banner, usually it's Cooley-Brite or a similar flex face product.

0igo

Damn I seen those before. My neighbor came back from Mexico with a box almost identical as that one

Dan360

If you're lucky, the tension clips will be sign comp and you can get a tool for those which makes it a lot easier. If not, they're the old style and a real pain in the ass. We couldn't find a tool for them and had to hammer them in, takes forever.

KMC

Graphic Artist
its a flex face banner you will need as its made for back it signs
I find using cut prerecorded translucent vinyl on the front pops more with the lights behind
as for the frame they are a 2 part system (cover for aesthetics) and then the main stretching frame, the main stretching frame is usually held on by clips BUT there are some with a staple stitch (i hope you don't get that style as the staple stitch is a nightmare to deal with it took us over 8 weeks to get replacement parts for the air gun to do new faces on a can up here)

untitled

Thanks for all of the information guys. I think I am just going to pass on the sign part as they need it done fairly quickly and while my supplier does sell the Cooley Brite material they don't have it in stock locally. While I can easily take the thing apart and figure it out, if I end up needing new clips or a special tool to stretch the new material it may take me more time than they currently have to get things together. I was actually hoping it may be more like an Ackland Frame type thing and could be easily done, but it's looking a little more involved.