Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How light is mesh banner material?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by SignManiac, Jun 26, 2012.

1. SignManiac

SignManiac Major Contributor

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    I need to make a 20'x20' single sided banner for a skydiving exhibition jump carrying a flag like the photo below, but using the logo of a company instead. It has to be light enough for a jumper to carry while exiting the plane, be easy enough to unfold once under canopy, and fly straight and stable until landing?

My first thought would be to try and print on parachute fabric (ripstop nylon) but not sure how it would print on the flatbed. Also not sure about how well the UV inks would adhere to the nylon.

Or wondering if anyone has made a banner for this specific purpose before. Other point is...if I can print in house, I'll have to print two or more panels and then sew them at the seams. Any wholesale vendors here who can chime in with suggestions? Would mesh banner material be light enough?

Thanks

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. HaroldDesign

HaroldDesign Very Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Boy - Hate to be a doubting Thomas, but that seems like one to stay away from! Suppose it doesn't work right, what could that mean?! Mesh banner seems like a good choice, but man...

3. ova

ova Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Wheeling, WV
    I think the unfold part might mess you up. It's probably light enough, but it's not like cloth. Kind od ridged and stiff.

Dave

4. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Merchant Member

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    Dont use mesh its way to heavy, your best bet is to try the ripstop.

5. SignManiac

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    Thanks, kind of what I was expecting to hear. I'll get a sample piece to print on.

6. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    Bob this sound like a good excuse to get of the shop and test it out for yourself! (Don't you think you deserve to do this after all the work you've been doing lately)?

7. SignManiac

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    LOL Brian, no rest for the wicked :) I'm igniting the taper at opposite ends simultaneously!

8. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    LOL Bob who said anything about rest? That would be work "testing the product" before selling to customer:{)-