• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How long should it take to rip a 300mb file in Versaworks?

cmaxdesigns

I ripped a 300mb file in versaworks today and it took 30 minutes. Is this a relatively normal amount of time to rip a file that size?

I am running a computer (2 months old) with a AMD Athlon II dual core processor and 4GB of ram. Is this sufficient for ripping mainly vehicle wraps and store front graphics?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Chad

anotherdog

It really depends on whats in the file rather than the size.
If its 300mb of bitmap then that seems a little long, but if its a nightmare of vectors and transparencies then that could be ok. I have seen them take half an hour on a similar machine.

animenick65

Agree with anotherdog. 300mb for vectors at 30mins sounds weird. If its a raster image, then 30 minutes sounds pretty reasonable.

trik

what file format was it? an eps? I save most pf my wraps out of Photoshop as an eps, I just did six panels nested together with a total file size over 1 gig, ripped it in about 26 minutes, 4gig of ram but on an xp pro, so I only get 3, quad core cpu. Machine is about a year old. Does seem kind of long, but without knowing anything about the file hard to say.

ProWraps

so many factors in your equation that to spec it would be impossible. you could have something strange in your file that could complete skew your results. i have less than 1 mb vectors that sometimes take rediculously long. its not because of the file size, its because something is wrong with the file or the compression. or wrong with the way the rip decides to interact with what adobe did in the creation of the file.

i would say you might want to look into beefing up your rip computer though. we run 8gb on a 64 bit system. it is so cheap now, that there is no reason not to do it. we would run 16 gb, but the price on 4gb mem modules is UNBELEIVEABLY expensive vs. 2gb.

cmaxdesigns

Thanks Pro Wraps and Trik. I am thinking about using this computer for general use.

Any suggestions of what Processor and memory would be suitable for ripping vehicle wrap files and banners. I am 99% a mac user and have no need except to rip files with a new PC so I am in the dark on what to buy when I go the PC route.

Thanks,

Chad

mark in tx

There are so many variables, as mentioned above, that you'll probably not find a single definitive answer. "This is why the file took so long to RIP."

But, the general rule for a RIP computer is that you want stability, and speed.
You can get a stock Dell, and add some RAM, and it will run your RIP.