• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How much power does an electrical sign consume?

thesignexpert

Hey everyone,

I figure if anyone knows, you all would. I am trying to track down stats on how much electricity your typical sign consumes. Of course the first thing that comes to mind are the variables involved in neon vs. fluorescent vs. LED as well as the length of time the sign is burning (24 hours, time-clocked for specific on/off times, photocell for evening illumination only etc.). To makes matters even more complicated the size of the signs and its related power supplies will impact the information as well.

This is for an article that I am researching and there should be some consideration for simplicity.

Even more specifically I am trying to get a handle on how much (if any) extra power is consumed if the sign is not working correctly. There has to be a consumption effect for inefficiencies and I am hoping to track that data down.

Any help would be appreciated even if it is to point me in a good direction.

Thanks in advance!

fmg

I would be interested to know this as well.We recently had an electrical led sign installed that was modified after we installed it by another sign company, since then the sign has malfunctioned and the owners are trying to slam this on us and they are expressing that the sign is consuming a lot of electricity to their monthly bill.Curious!

Bradster941

If I remember correctly.

Amps X Volts = Watts
Example
Lets say the sign draws 5 Amps at 120 volts.

5 X 120 = 600 watts
If the power company charges 10 cents a Kilowatt hour. (1,000 watts).
1Kw divided by 600 watts = .6 Kw per hour.
.6 Kw per hour X the 10 cents per Kw the power company charges = 6 cents per running hour.

thesignexpert

Thanks for the responses. I think what I am trying to track down are calculated averages based on regional or national data. Figuring up the specific energy usage of a specific sign is easily done. What I am trying to find out is if there are any studies that have been done on a more macro scale. Even better would be a study that have explored the contrast between a properly functioning sign and a malfunctioning one. I know, quite a nut to crack.