• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How much would you charge?

oyy0

I did this out of 651 Oracal.
I charged cheap because it was a friend and it was the first job I have done in about a decade; at least I feel it's cheap.
$90 per side, $20 for the back logo. Used a full roll of 24in x 10yd, mostly.
I have no overhead as of now, and I made the design from a picture he gave me, not exactly the same but close. Took me about 6 hours total: designed, preparation, and install.
Let me know if you need to know anything else.
Thanks for any help.
97de41e6159d882ce9dd75392f40375a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

oyy0

Not including material.....

We charge $90 and hour. I think that if someone came to us and wanted that it would be $900-1200.00 range.
You live in a big city? My town is about 110k, and while I am out of the loop on pricing, there's no way I could ask for that much. But I thank you for you insight, it's time to update my thinking. I've been out of the business for over a decade and I need to learn again.

Hero Signs

If they let me make it, they will come
My team or I could design that in 30 to 45 min, prep in 3o min, install 1-1.5 hrs. $80 per hour on design and installation. Plus $5 per sqft on vinyl

You live in a big city? My town is about 110k, and while I am out of the loop on pricing, there's no way I could ask for that much. But I thank you for you insight, it's time to update my thinking. I've been out of the business for over a decade and I need to learn again.

I'm also in a small area. But price is arbitrary to a point. That truck cost how much? Did the town affect that purchase too?

I'm on a 13mile island and next to a po dunk town area called Yulee north east of Jax. I get $90 an hour / 125 an hour out of shop for labor, the rest you need to calculate on a spread sheet per job to ensure you are making money to help grow you & your business.

oyy0

What the heck is that design?
It's a skull and some random broken lines. He brought me a picture from who knows where on the internet. I just designed it from there, it was a crappy jpeg as well.

Last edited:

oyy0

I'm also in a small area. But price is arbitrary to a point. That truck cost how much? Did the town affect that purchase too?

I'm on a 13mile island and next to a po dunk town area called Yulee north east of Jax. I get $90 an hour / 125 an hour out of shop for labor, the rest you need to calculate on a spread sheet per job to ensure you are making money to help grow you & your business.
Yea, sounds good. I'll start working something out.

oyy0

I would be at $500 - $600 and would use a better vinyl. (651 is great, but not for that type of application)
If I had used a cast, I would definitely had charged more. The application was easy enough, even with the small contours on the truck. But yea, I'm trying to use up all my calendered stuff so I can start using at least 751 from now on. Thanks for your help.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
you get what you pay for.

651 on a truck....and he's your friend?

Work is work and friends are friends....

that job should have been done in cast and no cheaper than $600, or else you are nothing but a hack...

Billct2

"I'm trying to use up all my calendered stuff" That means you had that roll in stock? How old was it?

TimToad

We live in a town of about 28,000 and in the most expensive county in California when average wages are factored and that job would still be between $750 and $1,000 here and done with 751 at the very least.

How does your local population affect pricing of your materials, electric bills, time spent on a job?

When I order materials, they don't ask me if our town has grown and price it accordingly based on the last census.

If you breathe, you have overhead costs, you just aren't accounting for them.

I hope your buddy doesn't mind seeing the tell tale sign of an improper material being used when the vinyl shrinks in a year or so and the adhesive edge shows.

ams

If I had used a cast, I would definitely had charged more. The application was easy enough, even with the small contours on the truck. But yea, I'm trying to use up all my calendered stuff so I can start using at least 751 from now on. Thanks for your help.

751 is junk. I am a huge Oracal fan but 751 is the worst.

AKwrapguy

I live in a small city as well. Not the point, it's about what your time is worth. This is a skill and not everyone can do it. If you want to do side jobs for friends that's fine, no one here will fault you for that. But if you want to make a go of this and want to do it professionally don't short change yourself. Have shop minimums, be aware of what each job will actually cost you and charge accordingly. So while that job say cost you $100 in material, you also had to use applicator tape, tape to stick it to the vehicle, you had to prep cost of the cleaning the vehicle, you also had to use your equipment with means that you slightly wore down your blade, your applicator, so after all the nickle and dime stuff, maybe your in for $175. So charge accordingly.

oyy0

We live in a town of about 28,000 and in the most expensive county in California when average wages are factored and that job would still be between $750 and $1,000 here and done with 751 at the very least.

How does your local population affect pricing of your materials, electric bills, time spent on a job?

When I order materials, they don't ask me if our town has grown and price it accordingly based on the last census.

If you breathe, you have overhead costs, you just aren't accounting for them.

I hope your buddy doesn't mind seeing the tell tale sign of an improper material being used when the vinyl shrinks in a year or so and the adhesive edge shows.

Has 651 degraded in quality that much? I'll start getting the cast in asap then.
Guys, I appreciate the help.
And yea, pricing is affected by where I am from what I can tell from the little I have been looking into it. I'll just make sure I get rid of this stuff cheap and move on from it and will make sure I am making enough to stay alive and not hurt the vinyl sigh economy too much.