• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How old is your software?

CrabbyOldGuy

I have not seen this question posed on the forum yet but would like to know how many of you just automatically upgrade your software to the latest and greatest as soon as it is released or do you only upgrade when you absolutely have to. How old is the software you are using for the majority of your work? If it is older, how much problem is this causing you with your customers? I know, too many questions. Inquiring minds want to know.:help:

Kerry

Jackpine

I upgrade as needed. It seems many times when there is an upgrade the "bugs" are not fixed yet. Corel as always been the easiest upgrade for me. I can keep the current active as well as the newer version. Operating systems.....that has been a nightmare and I do not change unless I have to. If is ain't broke, don't fix it.

ndemond

"ditto"

Went to Omega from GA because had to get a new computer and XP last year. My guy could get anything to work in '98, don't know how but he did. Also am upgrading Corel soon because everyone says X3 is so great. (Now there is an X4 - what to do?) As far as the customers go, it really doesn't make a difference what I am using.

Samm

Upgrade only when in dire need to. I can't see myself needing to go up with flexi as nothing which has changed affects me. I may upgrade to Corel X3 in the foreseeable future, it is affordable enough to do so just for the heck of it!

Had both for a couple of years now.

CrabbyOldGuy

We recieve a lot of files from ad agencies and the like. All of them seem to have the latest versions of software. I suppose it is the cost of doing business but I hate to be forced into upgrades by the customer. Like many of us here, I still run a copy of Flexi 5.8 and love it. We also run Flexi Pro 7.62 but mostly for the Jv3. We recently recieved a file from another shop using Freehand 8. Made me think not everyone had the newest upgrades and wondered what everyone else was doing. Thanks for the replies.

Marie

We usually do every other upgrade. Upgrades seem to happen more frequently than in the past. So we sit out one upgrade and then get more new goodies for the money when we upgrade the next time.

JERHEMI

I stay up-to-date with all my software so no issues ever come up with clients sending files I am not able to open and work with. But, I don't feel it is necessary to upgrade everytime an upgrade comes out because the updates are usually minimal and aren't worth the price. So I'll wait until I feel it is necessary for me to upgrade when I'll get plenty of updates that would be worth my while and when I go to a sign show and the software I use is offering "show discounts" that are usually pretty good.

GK

I try to stay as up to date as possible when it comes to design applications/suites because many times we are dealing directly with ad agencies and such which stay on top of updates so if we can't accept the newest formats that allow the use of new features...we are dead in the water. With that in mind, I normally keep the older version on the computer for a few months after the new version just to counteract some upgrade bugs and such.

binki

upgrades are a revenue stream for the software vendor, not really a way to make your job easier. we upgrade when there are significant new features that we didn't know we wanted until the vendor tells us we do.

but seriously, we normally upgrade every 2-4 versions, not every one. after all, our job is to service our customers, not to spend all day installing software and figuring out how to use it.

petepaz

we usually up grade when we start getting art work from customers that won't open in the older version
it seems that most of the new revisions to the software (not all) are for internet / web use

coyote

Speaking of upgrades, how many PC folks have gone to Vista? I've heard bad things about it and have been happy with XP. We have latest Flexi, ..I'd like to get a newer laptop, but don't want Vista, unless it's debugged.

BTW: it's annoying that Flexi won't open Gerber Plot files if they're "too old"-what's up with that?
Carol

TheSnowman

Before I bought the company, we never had an upgrade. We ran the Gerber software on Win 95. Come to think of it...still use that about daily. EVERYONE that comes in wants stuff off of it that we've done for them before. So I guess the upgrade was when we bought the JV3. But just got all new everything then.

Service Sign Co

What software, and how much do you use it? I like upgrading because it is usually necessary. still at PS 7 and looking foreward to an upgrade,just recently had to upgrade 9 year old software. The question should be,how often do you upgrade your OS? 64 bit will eventually be the standard

Techman

personally, there is almost no need for any of us sign persons to goto vista. VISTA sux. period. I have it on my new lappy. I really do not like it. Not for personal reason but for the hassles it holds.

I had to hack it up because the so called security features were a real pain. VITSA is considerably slower than XP. And the lack of drivers for legacy software and equipment make this lappy just about useless.

Changing OS's for the sake of getting the newest is not always the best idea.

Same for regular old software. No need to change versions unless there is a noticeable positive change in functions. For example Corel x3 was a great change. x4 could be a good change. Especially if tests show the trace function is better.

ndemond

BTW: it's annoying that Flexi won't open Gerber Plot files if they're "too old"-what's up with that?
Carol

Carol, I don't have Flexi but if you open an old GA Plot file in Omega, do a "save as" Gerber 2.5 and then import? I am not at work, but I am thinking that is an option. Just a thought.

onesource

As long as it is working good who cares, but there is a reasonable time frame to keep up to date. I would think that would be when you are forced to make a platform change in windows and keeping your current software out of conflict.

gvgraphics

Mostly just upgrade when needed. But I have recently just upgraded to Flexi 8.5 and now Corel X4. I figure this should last a while before I need to do it again.