• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How precise is the Keencut SteelTrack 250

bigben

I'm planing to buy a Keencut SteelTrack 250 and I was wondering how precise is the cut if I have a print with no bleed on it for example. I have a Roland versacut trimmer and I prefer to use a regular strait ruler instead due of the lack of precision.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We got the Fletcher model, instead. Basically, very happy with it. The cut is generally within 1/64" from top to bottom, unless WE goof up. I imagine the Keen is just as good.

bigben

We got the Fletcher model, instead. Basically, very happy with it. The cut is generally within 1/64" from top to bottom, unless WE goof up. I imagine the Keen is just as good.

Does your fletcher can cut a 8ft long sheet. From the website, it seems to be a maximum of 65in. The fletcher have the optional tool to cut 0.060 aluminum and steeltrack is rated at 1mm (0.039). I would like to have the 0.060 capacity with the 8ft long cut.

2B

We have a Keencut SteelTrak 250 98"
accuracy is good, with the following;
  • Take the time to set it up to test and calibrate it for accurate cuts.
  • Secure it, ideally to the wall, ours was sitting on the floor with their Free Standing Kit and any time it was bumped/moved the cuts would suffer
  • be careful where you engage the different cutting heads,
    • there is a very specific location on the vertical track and if you engage/disengage anywhere else you will damage the Transparent Cutline Cursor and will lose the ability to visually align the cuts
Overall a good tool once you understand how to use it.
We would buy another one, only if we could get the negotiated price again.

we have cut .080 aluminum, it is doable and whoever pulls the handle will have to have strength and body weight to pull the cut head down with the thicker materials.
If you are cutting a considerable amount of thick materials, this is probably not the best option for long term usage.

bigben

Thanks. We will mostly cut ACM and use the V-Groove option. So if I can cut aluminum from time to time, it will be great.

From the video I've saw, it seems to bend the ACM a bit. What if I have to cut a bunch of 12inX12in square ACM? Do they will be all bent?

2B

ACM and Aluminum require different cutting heads, so be careful when you switch the materials.

yes, there will be material bend to it, even the 080 alum has bends, especially on the corners.
the thinner/small the piece you cut, the more pronounced the bend curl will be.

Also, you mention cutting AFTER printing. make sure to be careful loading and unloading. you can scuff the surface/prints when loading or unloading

Last edited:
Don't know about the cutter you mentioned, but I have a keencut arc 120" rotary cutter that cuts fabric, BOPP bag, or heavy textured wallpaper with extreme accuracy and super clean edges even after one year of (moderate and careful) use, so I wouldn't be too concerned about the quality for any of their products.

bigben

ACM and Aluminum require different cutting heads, so be careful when you switch the materials.

yes, there will be material bend to it, even the 080 alum has bends, especially on the corners.
the thinner/small the piece you cut, the more pronounced the bend curl will be.

Also, you mention cutting AFTER printing. make sure to be careful loading and unloading. you can scuff the surface/prints when loading or unloading

So then, I think it will not be the right tool for me. I will mainly use this for ACM and I need to make lot of small parts like 12inX12in and make V-Groove in them. I was hoping to have a tool that will not make a mess like a saw. Do you have any suggestions?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We can only go 65" tall, so if you wanna cut a sheet longer, we hafta cut it on the panel saw.

For cutting substrates accurately, we have a Fletcher, a Keen (not that kind, but an evolution 126), table saw, panel saw, scroll saws and various hand saws. We use the saws out in the garage area, where dirt is not a problem.

I believe we can cut .063, but like mentioned, it will curl ever so slightly. Almost everything does on those kinda cutters.

bigben

We can only go 65" tall, so if you wanna cut a sheet longer, we hafta cut it on the panel saw.

For cutting substrates accurately, we have a Fletcher, a Keen (not that kind, but an evolution 126), table saw, panel saw, scroll saws and various hand saws. We use the saws out in the garage area, where dirt is not a problem.

I believe we can cut .063, but like mentioned, it will curl ever so slightly. Almost everything does on those kinda cutters.

Thanks Gino! If I have a bunch of small Dibond parts (around 11inX11in) to cut and v-groove. What will be the best tool other than a cnc?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I would venture to say, if you have many to produce. I would cut them to size on a table saw, allowing for the blade width and then change out blades with a 90º V-scoring saw blade, unless you have access to a CNC machine.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you are contemplating ding anything in large numbers, you'll either need to create a place by building, enlarging or subbing it out to be finished properly. If you open a restaurant and you needed to produce 20 pieces of toast every 3 minutes, you're not gonna get a regular toaster and do it out on the counter. Not at all... you'll invest in a commercial grade toaster and create a spot out of the way so it can do it's job properly.

Jun Lanon

I've used keencut before but I find safety cut much better as it uses 3 blades. Less pressure for each blade. It also comes with laser guide.

bigben

I would venture to say, if you have many to produce. I would cut them to size on a table saw, allowing for the blade width and then change out blades with a 90º V-scoring saw blade, unless you have access to a CNC machine.

If you are contemplating ding anything in large numbers, you'll either need to create a place by building, enlarging or subbing it out to be finished properly. If you open a restaurant and you needed to produce 20 pieces of toast every 3 minutes, you're not gonna get a regular toaster and do it out on the counter. Not at all... you'll invest in a commercial grade toaster and create a spot out of the way so it can do it's job properly.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm definitely looking for a commercial grade product that is easy to use. Yes the best would be a CNC, but my budget and space don't allow it for now. I'm also looking for something that would be versatile. What about a panel saw? A model like SawTrax, the sign maker model, could be a great model (on paper). It would allow me to cut my ACM with ease and could also have the knife option to cut other thing like coroplast, foamboard, etc. I look at it as a more versatile version of a SteelTrack.

Would it be a good equipment for what I need? Is there any flaws I should be aware like a lack of precision?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We have a SawTrax, I think it will fit 5.5' up and down by almost anything left to right, Ya just hafta extend the platform once you go over 10'. We cut everything on it and it's very accurate, as long as you don't move it around or knock into it. It's a breeze to use. It has the additional knife cutter, too, but seldom use it, as we use the Fletcher or Keen cutter for those things.

Tattoosleeve

We had a panel saw. Bought a keen cut and got rid of our panel saw.. Would do it again. The mess with a panel saw is significant. We tried a few vacuum system to try and control it with little success. You might be able to control it with a more expensive industrial vacuum.

You should also look into a "track saw". Festool, DeWalt, and Makita all have corded and cordless models I believe. Very versatile, compact and have the ability to cut largel panels lengthwise with a single operator and without large infeed and outfeed table you would need on a tablesaw . We just picked one up to cut all the material for our production tables in our new shop.

bigben

We had a panel saw. Bought a keen cut and got rid of our panel saw.. Would do it again. The mess with a panel saw is significant. We tried a few vacuum system to try and control it with little success. You might be able to control it with a more expensive industrial vacuum.

You should also look into a "track saw". Festool, DeWalt, and Makita all have corded and cordless models I believe. Very versatile, compact and have the ability to cut largel panels lengthwise with a single operator and without large infeed and outfeed table you would need on a tablesaw . We just picked one up to cut all the material for our production tables in our new shop.

The keencut was my first choice. But like other confirm, it bend the dibond when cut. I can't afford that because I need to cut lot of small pieces. This is why the panel saw would be a better choice. I will need a special place to confine the mess.

Tattoosleeve

The keencut was my first choice. But like other confirm, it bend the dibond when cut. I can't afford that because I need to cut lot of small pieces. This is why the panel saw would be a better choice. I will need a special place to confine the mess.

Yes, Look into the track saw it may be a viable solution for you as well.