• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to apply wrap to the roof?

Petmoe

Which method do you guys use to mount the vinyl on the roof? Maybe a DIY on which method? pictures or video

Petmoe

Not sure what your asking here. You apply a roof with the same techniques you use on a side, or a hood, etc...

I have problem with applying the vinyl (using oracal 970ra) on a car. Its black gloss and i have problem to make the vinyl look 100% smooth after.

sorry my english

ucmj22

We just did this FJ cruiser a couple of weeks ago using the 970RA. I found it very easy to work with. I worked on one side of the car and my partner worked on the other side. we peeled back about 18 inces at a time and completed it before peeling back more.

Attachments

• IMG_1254.jpg
    IMG_1254.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1255.jpg
    IMG_1255.jpg
    381.3 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1256.jpg
    IMG_1256.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1259.JPG
    IMG_1259.JPG
    364.9 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1262.JPG
    IMG_1262.JPG
    321.4 KB · Views: 108

Msrae

Rae
Have you ever done a wrap before? The roof is relatively easy. Just take it slow and peel back the liner as you go. Don't try to peel all the liner off at once. Make sure you keep the material flat. I have done two by myself and they go pretty easy.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Probably a stoopid question, but ucm, what are those white squares on each side of the roofline ??

ucmj22

Probably a stoopid question, but ucm, what are those white squares on each side of the roofline ??

I made cut outs where the roof rack sits using knifeless tape. I thought it would be less likely to fail that way instead of wraping it in to the holes. once the roof rack was put on you couldnt see any white.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
:thankyou: I never thought of that. With wraps, we don't do much of that kind of stuff so it looked odd to me. Most of our stuff is just commercial and industrial. That little tip will come in handy.... thanks again !!

Petmoe

Do you access to another person?

If you have 2 people, just remove the backing paper and one person goes on each side and lays it down flat.....I'm not sure what else there is to it.

The roof is usually the easiest panel considering it is more or less flat in comparison to any other panel on a vehicle.

Yes we are 2 person

and i have make a couple wraps before. But this is the first time in black gloss.

Its it possible to wet apply the oracal 970ra?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
"Its it possible to wet apply the oracal 970ra? "

Possible but not recommended and counter productive.
The "ra" is Rapid Air - meaning it has micro channels in the glue to allow the air to escape - no bubbles. It also has repositionable adhesive so it can be set down and then lifted more than once to get the positioning right.
It needs to be installed dry for the best results.

wayne k
guam usa

Petmoe

"Its it possible to wet apply the oracal 970ra? "

Possible but not recommended and counter productive.
The "ra" is Rapid Air - meaning it has micro channels in the glue to allow the air to escape - no bubbles. It also has repositionable adhesive so it can be set down and then lifted more than once to get the positioning right.
It needs to be installed dry for the best results.

wayne k
guam usa

Thats our problem. When we try to relift and apply it agien. Then its makes marks in the vinyl, even while we warm up the foil and fit again

Bigdee

Thats our problem. When we try to relift and apply it agien. Then its makes marks in the vinyl, even while we warm up the foil and fit again

Are you possibly over stretching the vinyl? I'm not familiar with Oracal as I only have experience with 3M but I never had that issue. Then again, I don't heat the vinyl before I relift.

Fastsigns2041

Fastsigns Palm Harbor
is it the extra glossy 970ra? I had difficulty with that one too. Its extra thick, and does not stretch at all. Also the adhesive is stupendously aggressive. Pieces that I just rested on glass left adhesive behind when removed.

Border

Use the 3M brand and you won't have this problem. Others have posted before about the Oracal leaving little bumps of adhesive behind when try to reposition and it ends up looking rough.