Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to apply wrap to the roof?

Discussion in 'Vehicle Wraps' started by Petmoe, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Petmoe

Petmoe New Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Which method do you guys use to mount the vinyl on the roof? Maybe a DIY on which method? pictures or video

Tags:
  2. SignProPlus-Chip

SignProPlus-Chip Premium Subscriber

Feb 19, 2012
    Bluffton, SC
    Not sure what your asking here. You apply a roof with the same techniques you use on a side, or a hood, etc...

3. Petmoe

Petmoe New Member

Aug 1, 2012
    I have problem with applying the vinyl (using oracal 970ra) on a car. Its black gloss and i have problem to make the vinyl look 100% smooth after.

sorry my english

4. ucmj22

ucmj22 Very Active Member

Dec 10, 2009
    We just did this FJ cruiser a couple of weeks ago using the 970RA. I found it very easy to work with. I worked on one side of the car and my partner worked on the other side. we peeled back about 18 inces at a time and completed it before peeling back more.

Attached Files:

5. Msrae

Msrae Rae

Mar 6, 2011
    Utah
    Have you ever done a wrap before? The roof is relatively easy. Just take it slow and peel back the liner as you go. Don't try to peel all the liner off at once. Make sure you keep the material flat. I have done two by myself and they go pretty easy.

6. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Probably a stoopid question, but ucm, what are those white squares on each side of the roofline ??

7. ucmj22

ucmj22 Very Active Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I made cut outs where the roof rack sits using knifeless tape. I thought it would be less likely to fail that way instead of wraping it in to the holes. once the roof rack was put on you couldnt see any white.

8. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    :thankyou: I never thought of that. With wraps, we don't do much of that kind of stuff so it looked odd to me. Most of our stuff is just commercial and industrial. That little tip will come in handy.... thanks again !!

9. johnnysigns

johnnysigns Very Active Member

Nov 3, 2004
    East Coast
    womp womp... just saw the other post.

10. BALLPARK

BALLPARK Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Radford, VA
    +1...

11. Petmoe

Petmoe New Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Yes we are 2 person

and i have make a couple wraps before. But this is the first time in black gloss.

Its it possible to wet apply the oracal 970ra?

12. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    "Its it possible to wet apply the oracal 970ra? "

Possible but not recommended and counter productive.
    The "ra" is Rapid Air - meaning it has micro channels in the glue to allow the air to escape - no bubbles. It also has repositionable adhesive so it can be set down and then lifted more than once to get the positioning right.
    It needs to be installed dry for the best results.

wayne k
    guam usa

13. Petmoe

Petmoe New Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Thats our problem. When we try to relift and apply it agien. Then its makes marks in the vinyl, even while we warm up the foil and fit again

14. Bigdee

Bigdee Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Are you possibly over stretching the vinyl? I'm not familiar with Oracal as I only have experience with 3M but I never had that issue. Then again, I don't heat the vinyl before I relift.

15. signdesigner1

signdesigner1 Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Palm Harbor
    is it the extra glossy 970ra? I had difficulty with that one too. Its extra thick, and does not stretch at all. Also the adhesive is stupendously aggressive. Pieces that I just rested on glass left adhesive behind when removed.

16. Border

Border Very Active Member

Feb 8, 2007
    Minnesota
    Use the 3M brand and you won't have this problem. Others have posted before about the Oracal leaving little bumps of adhesive behind when try to reposition and it ends up looking rough.