• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to change an incoder strip on sp300

groutch

My Sp-300 is giving in with 0.0 My technician told me to clean the strip
wich I did know I don't have anything at all. Just 0.0 in with.
Just wondering how you can change the encoder strip. What the procedure would be? Can anybody tell me. I have the strip.

Thanks for any info.:frustrated:

InkjetAuction

Cut Carriage Flex Cable

The symptom that you are describing is very common with aging SP-300/V and SP-540V printers. It's most likely a bad cut carriage flex cable. This is the cable that connects the cut carriage to the main board. It's sandwiched between two clear Mylar guides.

Replace the cable and (2) guides and your problems will go away. (Less than $50 parts / 1 hr or less labor)

No need to replace the linear scale... it has nothing to do with measuring media width. Media width is determined by reading the position of the two outer pinchwheel sensors. The pinchwheel sensor is on the rear of the cut carriage. The printer determines the location of the cut carriage using the rotary encoder in the scan servo motor. The linear encoder is used to determine the location of the print carriage... and doesn't play here.

Not a tricky repair, but you might contact someone experienced in this type of repair as you do have to remove the delicate linear scale to properly clean the track and replace the cables.

PM if you need assistance.