• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

how to charge? by hour or by m²

msenjur

hey

i have a customer that wants me to wrap his boat. is pretty easy job, body is pretty flat and stright...

he got the material, all i have to do is install it...

there will be two of us.

so i dont know how to charge him... should i count hours or m²?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Your hourly wage(s), plus on-site costs and travel time. Or.... just charge a flat rate and if he doesn't laugh, say plus expenses and travel time.

2B

Most "professional" vinyl installers do it by the SQFT, on a sliding scale.
example
  • Box (panel) truck is XX per SQFT
  • VW beetle is XXXXX per SQFT
NOTE: anytime there is "customer supplied material" you either have them sign a waiver that any issues during or after installation are their responsibility or you have to know where they got the material from if have to replace a piece of it.

msenjur

ok, thanks...

will charge it per sqm.

just asking, what would be your fee per sqm of a boat wrap. it is a commercial boat, all renewed, there wont be any dificult finishing or cutting... lines are pretty flat...

he got hexis vinyl and he knows that material defections are his problem...

kcollinsdesign

Old member
You could use $3 - $5 sq. ft. for estimating, but you have to figure in everything to give an accurate quote.

A better way would be to figure out how many hours it will likely take, total up your burdened labor rate, and mark everything up to cover your operating cost, overhead, and profits. Like a previous poster pointed out, 500 sq. ft. on a box truck with no rivets will take far less time than wrapping a VW bug.

The best way is to just charge per hour until the job is done. I'm 62 and have been doing this all my life and this has never happened to me, but I have heard stories...

msenjur

hello

today i finished the job...

the two of us, we worked for 5 hours, did both sides... few extra time for wrapping small doors...

i talked with some collegues, competitors, they both said to charge it per sqm...

20190412_104549.jpg 20190412_114042.jpg 20190412_114055.jpg

Attachments

• 20190412_114055.jpg
    20190412_114055.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 313

unclebun

Never have figured out why people want to color change wrap a boat instead of painting it. Paint is so much more durable and is also spot repairable.

It looks like you traveled to the boat, so the 5 hours becomes 7 when you include travel time and load-up/unload time. For us, that would mean we'd be charging $850-1000 for the job, charging by time. What was the final surface area?

msenjur

hehe, jobsite was only 2km away...

final surface was 24m2

this is some special metalic green that changes colors under diferent angles...

kcollinsdesign

Old member
The only quantitative variable in this situation is the time it takes to do the work. The size of the project may give an indication of the scope of the job, but ultimately it is the time it takes that should determine the price. If you are new at this and cannot guage the time for an accurate price quote, either enlist the help of a more experienced estimator or go to any of the square foot calculators and start there. Keep track of whether you made your margin or not and adjust as needed until you can accurately estimate the time any given job will take.

ikarasu

Most installers who have been in the business for longer than a few years charge by the sqft, not by the hour. Of course they include difficulty in the sqft... We charge more for a bumper than we charge for half a vehicle.

Theres a guy I know who's been in the business for 20+ years, started doing wraps when 3m first introduced them. He actually instructs the 3M courses now. He can do stuff in a quarter of the time most others can.

He Competes in speed wraps...and can wrap most a vehicle in an hour and it looks better than most the hack jobs I see on the streets obviously real wraps he doesn't rush like that, but still.

He once told me if he charged by the hour instead of job.. He'd be undercutting competition by half.

It's the same for people who buy a flatbed. Just because I can print signs faster, and cheaper than someone with a roll to roll... I'm not going to drop my prices by half.

One in getting at is one method doesn't suit all. You need to see what works for you and your pace. If hourly is higher.... Charge hourly. If sqft is higher... Charge per sqft.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
Ikarasu - sorry buddy but that just ain't so. People new in the business charge by the sq.ft. because they have no idea what they are doing. Once you have some experience under your belt it becomes much easier to estimate time on a job and prepare an appropriate estimate.

Who the hell competes in "speed wraps." That doesn't sound like fun to me, sort of like seeing how fast one can poke a sharp stick one's eye. I prefer to fish and drink beer for fun. But, whatever. If you got a guy that can wrap a vehicle in an hour, just charge $1500.00 or so an hour.

After a while you get a feel for what a wrap job is worth (and what your market will hold) and you learn to charge accordingly. If you can't deliver the goods, well, better start boning up or choose another line of work (or just hire that "wrap-an-hour" guy).

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I like to charge by the square foot because the faster and better I get, the more $$ I make. Otherwise the new guy starting out makes more money then the more experienced who gets it done quicker. Also, having a sq. ft. charge VS pulling one out of your ass gives your clients an easy way to figure in your install costs.

I'd do a speed wrap, but you better be paying 50% more then my "non-speed" sq. ft price ;)