• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to clean up clip art for cutting?

dhearn

I've got one of those huge clip art libraries (Art Explosion to be exact) with like 1,000,000 clip art images and a gazillion CD's that come with it. My question is that when I pull one of them in to my cutting program, each one is made up of a bunch of lines that overlap (they are .ai files) so they are no good for cutting. How do I clean these up to get rid of the overlapping lines so that it will be suitable for cutting?

TIA!

Mosh

Ahh Padiwahn... search the forums and learn.

Welding tool, re-drawing, buying vinyl ready clip-art. Lots harder than you thought right?
Can't just buy a cutter and some clipart.

Do like most, print it, cuting vinyl is "old school" now a-days.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
An .ai file is a vector which is exactly what you want for cutting. Specifically, if you didn't know, it's an Adobe Illustrator (.ai) file. Use the node tool (white filled arrow) to select pieces of the image and delete.

I doubt your cutting program will do much to allow tweaking the files to the degree you need. Go to lynda.com and learn about Illustrator and download the demo from adobe.com

kage

its possible you will have to convert outlines to objects,weld,combine etc.. not all vector clipart is ready to cut. I use Corel x4 btw and am sure Illy has the same tools..just different names.

Mosh

Just because it is a vector does not mean you can just hit the cut button. We have corel files that if we sent to the cutter would be a mess. Overlapping lines, you need to look at the wireframe, cause that is what will be getting cut.

For simple stuff, sometimes the easiest way is to print it out in black and white, scan it, trace it, then color it in. Good way to get rid of unwanted properties in the art.

Replicator

Mosh, I have to say I completely agree with you on this topic . . .

Either buy cut ready clipart, or take the time to educate yourself on preparing the files correctly for cutting.

heyskull

There is Clipart everywhere but only 10% is any good for us guys.
You have to be a magician to make some of the rubbish out there into a cuttable image.
SC

gabagoo

I have the 600,000 clipart collection and as rare as I use it I usually find I have to spend a bit of time to make them workable in vinyl cutting. Printing however they are not bad but you will also find some strange stuff going on. Out of curiosity, as I am not a designer per say that uses illustrator, why oh why do so many designers make company logos and such the same way as most of that clip art. Hidden shapes and overlying and underlying shapes that may print ok on a desktop printer, but outside of that I am not sure what these designers are thinking. I would think that schools would frown on this sort of designing and be more proactive in making desinging, work for everyone that may come in contact with the logo. Based on some of the prices designers charge I would think this would be a must. Even the designer that works out of our unit the odd time sends me a logo and I have to go down and say "Hey guy what were you thinking?"

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Most designers and clipart illustrators do not think about vinyl. It is the lazy way of doing artwork.

Using white shapes to hide imperfections or extra shapes is usually a bad idea but overlaps actually make sense. It makes it easier to edit when changes are needed. If you cut out the shape below and decide to change it later you actually have more work fixing the underlying objects.

mark galoob

you know, im not trying to promote anybody here...but i just send that crap to the the vector dr. and they fix me right up, usually that day...i resell the service and usually that is one of my higher profit margin income streams...i of course make sure the customer thinks its my shop doing it, and that its a big deal to do...

highly reccomend

mark galoob

Circleville Signs

Just like everyone else on this thread I'm going to tell you what you dont' want to hear.

If you don't know how to use Illustrator, or even HAVE Illustrator or another design software, why are you in this business? Is your cutter a Cricut?

Gary