• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to convert outline to object?

shuv76

Hello ...I am trying to send a file to someone to router some stencils for me. They need the fonts to have an outline on them for their machine to read it. I tried doing the wireframe but it will not save it when I try saving. It just goes back to regular font.. I select the font and click Arrange then when I go down to convert outline to object it is not highlighted so I cannot click on it. I do not know what I am doing wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated,, Paul
Oh I have CorelDraw X3

ChristianTR

If you are using illustrator just right click on the text and go to "create outlines". This will turn the font into objects.

shuv76

I tried converting to curves and after that I go to Convert Outline to object and it is not highlighted, so I cannot click on it. I also tried picking the text and pressing Cntrl Q and that does not work either. I am stuck.

shuv76

Yes I tried cntrl shift Q . I even tried a new page with one word on it and cannot get it to cooperate.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Post the one word problem file here for us to take a look at.
(rename the "file.cdr" to "file.txt")

wayne k
guam usa

shuv76

Here is a random word that will not convert outline to object.

Attachments

• file.txt
    14.3 KB · Views: 140

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I got it.
There is no text in the file.
It has been already been converted to curves (Qtrl+Q)
You can't convert the outline because it does not have one
You have to use the "Outline Pen Tool" to to give it something to work with.

wayne k
guam usa

shuv76

That is it! I clicked the text and then went to pen outline and clicked the text again and then went to convert outline to object. Then I removed the font and it left the outline. One problem I am having with it though is that I can hardly see it after I move the darkened text away.
Do you think I could leave the text there with the outline around it and send the file like that or would that not work? Anyway thanks a lot for helping,,,Paul

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Remove all color fills and then try exporting it as a .dxf file. There should be an option to automatically convert fonts to curves.

JB

tintgirl2000

best way

click on text you want to put an outline on.
DO NOT assign an outline.
Instead, go to "arrange" on your tool bar. click on "contour". choose your contour for the outside. then assign a width. i ussually start with .25 then trial and error, add till you get what you want. when you do, then go to arrange and choose-break apart contour- then you can change colors for each and the biggest plus about doing it this way is that you can enlarge or decrease the size of the text and the contour outline you created without changing the proportion as it would if you only had an outline that your cutter doesnt see.

skyhigh

perhaps you and the router guy are not communicating too well.

Send him the fonts converted to curves.
Im betting that is all he really wants.