• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to create a cut layer in photoshop

stealey

I'm trying to create a layer around this image that i can tell my rip and cutter will be a cut file but I'm struggling as i work on printers rather than designing, i managed to get a stroked path around the image but when i open it in my rip its all one layer and not editable so i can't get it to a cut layer, anyone know an easy way to do it or what i am doing wrong? thanks

Attachments

• TCA Logo - Phase 1 copy.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 365

Pippin Decals

I'm trying to create a layer around this image that i can tell my rip and cutter will be a cut file but I'm struggling as i work on printers rather than designing, i managed to get a stroked path around the image but when i open it in my rip its all one layer and not editable so i can't get it to a cut layer, anyone know an easy way to do it or what i am doing wrong? thanks

what software do you use? I created a contour cut around the image just barely larger than the image. If you need to contact me personally send me a pm and we can chat on the phone. I dont do contour cutting so i may not have it the right way . but it is a svg file.If you need it another way ,let me know and ill see what i can do.

Attachments

• image with outline.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 293

stealey

I'm just attempting it in photoshop, normally we have a lad in our studio who does all this but he's off today and i wanted to make these decals for my niece who goes away cheerleading tomorrow. basically what i need to achieve is one file that when i open it has a print layer with a cut layer right on top of it but as separate layers so i can tell my printer and cutter this layer is to print and this layer is to cut, the way you have done it would be perfect as id normally just put the cut layer over the print layer and switch the cut layer to cut in my editor but i can't select either of them its all one file, maybe its the way I'm saving the files but i can't seem to make anything editable when i get it to my editor

stealey

sorry i can do that, I've been opening it in photoshop and having no luck but just tried illustrator and i can save and move it about, thank you for the help

stealey

no I'm still having trouble, so if you open the image in photoshop, use the magic wand tool and select everything around the image, thats where i want the cut layer to be, but i don't know how to do that?

stealey

so I've got this far, i want this to be my cut file, this shape as a very thin outline that i can drop on top of my print file if anyone knows how to do that?

Attachments

• shape.pdf
    439.4 KB · Views: 287

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
In Photoshop you ...

1. Make a selection you want to be a cut path. This is most easily accomplished by selecting the print image and then expanding or contracting the selection by xx number of pixels.
2. Convert the selection into a path.
3. Export paths to Illustrator.

In Illustrator you ...

4. Open image in Illustrator.
5. Import path into Illustrator.
6. Justify image and paths on both axes to center.
7. Set path to whatever setting your printer requires to recognize it as a cut path.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Flexiisign does it in 2 seconds. Why create it in Photoshop?
RIP doesn't recognize layers in a PSD file....only in a file that sends the image and a Contour Cut layer, IE Flexi, Versaworks, etc.

clarizeyale

Don't even save it in photoshop. This is a vectorized PDF that you can easily open in Illustrator and make a cut line path. Or you can do the same in Flexi.

What I do in illy is to copy the whole thing, paste in place on a new layer, use the pathfinder tool to unite everything, give it a small stroke (a bit bigger than the image itself), expand, pathfinder/unite again. (make sure not to do anything on that original bottom layer....)

But in flexi, it's soo much easier as you just use the cutcontour tool.

AKwrapguy

Depending on what software you have you have. But as far as I know you need to do it in a vector software such as Illustrator, or corel. If you have Flexi you can also do it in there as well.

stealey

cheers, like i say I'm still learning and normally just use my editor (GMG) for most things but i wanna learn the other programmes.

rydods

Member for quite some time.
I usually finalize a lot of designs or logos in photoshop if they need just little more detail (I'm not that great in illustrator). If I need to create a cut line, I export as a psd from photoshop and import it into flexi and add my cut line to that. You can also create a very thin outline in flexi and separate it then mask your image. I do this a lot for decals that need to have a contour cut.

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
In Photoshop you ...

1. Make a selection you want to be a cut path. This is most easily accomplished by selecting the print image and then expanding or contracting the selection by xx number of pixels.
2. Convert the selection into a path.
3. Export paths to Illustrator.

In Illustrator you ...

4. Open image in Illustrator.
5. Import path into Illustrator.
6. Justify image and paths on both axes to center.
7. Set path to whatever setting your printer requires to recognize it as a cut path.

This should work in photoshop. But you can also open your image in illustrator and do the same thing

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
Please stop designing layouts and/or logos in photoshop or any other raster program! You do that here and you'll be fired on the spot!

Wow!! I guess y'all are real limited on your designs. I guess your only have plotters in your shop.
I tell you what, fire your designer that can work in both raster and vector and send them my way. I have a workstation I can put them at.

IMO . There are usually the need for raster and vector programs in designing for each application. We use a combination of both vector and raster in our business. If I was looking for a designer I would want them versed in both. Wraps are designed with both most of the time here in our shop. Final output is always done in photoshop. Most channel letter jobs are built in Flexi and output from there. Limiting yourself to only vector based software is hamstringing your creativity.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Wow!! I guess y'all are real limited on your designs...

You misunderstood my statement. We use both vector and raster. We print and cut all our own graphics. I simply meant to use photoshop as your starting point for logo design is ludacris if you have access to a vector program.
You start in vector and add your raster effects and leave them in the vector program. Text as vector with a raster text with any effects as an overlay. Why? So you have a cut line!

clarizeyale

so just in case ya'll didn't know.. in newer versions of illustrator, there's a magnificent tool called "smooth tool" if you ever need to clean up a self made cut contour paths from a crappy image. you'll probably have to use this in conjunction with other tools but it's definitely been helpful!

Pippin Decals

so just in case ya'll didn't know.. in newer versions of illustrator, there's a magnificent tool called "smooth tool" if you ever need to clean up a self made cut contour paths from a crappy image. you'll probably have to use this in conjunction with other tools but it's definitely been helpful!

OMG. I have never heard of that tool before and ive been using Ai since 2015. Freaking amazing. Im using cc free version. So glad you shared that.