• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to cut a 90ft roll on my SP300

funkytone

Looking for some advice. My client is looking for 2 rolls that are 12 inch by 90foot. Its a full colour, continous print and they'll just cut the amount required on a day by day use for around their office. I have an SP300 and got 2 roll of 15" X 150' Gloss White Perm Vinyl thinking that I would print 13" wide with cutting registration marks and then rewind the roll, and run it through to contour cut the 12" in the middle. Then remove the waste around the outside edges, rewind again and give it to the client.

My concern is that most likely the roll is going to shift from the begining to the end and it the contour cut won't be in register by the time it gets to the end of the 90'. Before I start printing, I wanted to run the scenario by you guys and see if there's a better way to do this.

Any help is appreciated?

Thanks

the graphics co

Find someone who is capable of running the printed graphic through a slitter. Your roland will never accomplish this task. Otherwise you can roll it out and cut it with a straight edge and a knife, good luck!

phototec

Like others have said, there is NO way your SP300 will be able to cut the 90' and keep in-line.

If I had that job, I would print the 12" x 90' image in the center of the 15" wide material with bleed (13") and print cut marks at both ends and every 4' along the edges.

Roll up the image as it prints, after printing, unroll 8' at a time on my production table, and using a 8' straight edge, cut down both sides 8' long and the end, roll it up, slide it down the table, cutting the next 8' section, following the very thin cut marks printed near the edge of the image. Keep going until you get to the end of the 90', the print is already rolled up and ready to give to the customer.

Now it's going to take some time and you need a LONG straight edge (I have several), but this way you only have to print the job one time.

I think, if you try it your way, the printer could cut about 20-30 feet, and then start drifting off course ans who knows how far off it would be at the end, and you would have to print again, wasting ink and media.

:thumb:

Gene@mpls

Having had a SP300... I would print on 24" vinyl (it is easier to get running
straight and you have room for more drift) and charge the cust for the
waste. And hand cut for sure. X'ed fingers might help. Gene

kanini

I don't think the printing will cause any problems, printing full 150 ft rolls all the time on a 540 and never had a problem with drifting if you load it somewhat straight, use media flanges (good ones) and the stoppers for the media flanges. But I hope you have a take-up reel, otherwise the babysitting will make you go nuts... And why does it HAVE to be continous, if they are cutting it off later on anyways? Can't they do with 2 or 3 rolls instead? Or you could tape them together, like some reflective media that comes with a slice suddently in the middle of your 5 metre decal...

Sign Works

I would first see if the color could be obtained in an opaque colored vinyl and have that slit to size, if not simply print the vinyl and have it slit to size. I would not be uncomfortable doing this on my SP-300V, I would set the pinch rollers in about 1" then print a solid 26" stripe then have it slit to size, no problem.

Mosh

I would be wondering about printing 15" material that I am pretty sure is NOT designed to print on...

____________________________________________________________________________________
Boomshanka!

funkytone

Thanks for all the replies everyone. While there were definately some good ideas suggested by people, someone else made the decision easy for me......... my wife gave birth yesterday and we just got home this afternoon so I'm outsourcing this headache and forgoing the good profit so I have some more time with the family.

Thanks for all your input!